MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:01 PM   #1
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Question Smoking "Other" Meats: Lamb, Duck, Salmon....etc. Any words of wisdom/suggestions?

Hi all,

Ok, as I get ready to fire up my new offset...thinking what to put in it.

Of course, I plan to do mostly beef and pork.

But I'm thinking I love other meats too...but I've never had them smoked.

Like with lamb....I'm guessing lamb chops would be too small to deal with, but what about a leg of lamb...maybe boneless so that it lays flat like a brisket.

How would ya'll season that? Any experiences with smoked lamb? How was it? What sort of temps do you go for...what "feel"....?

I've heard of smoked duck, but never had it. I've not had a lot of duck I like, but the few times I liked it...I REALLY liked it.

Those things give off so much fat...would you put a pan under the grate to try to catch some of that...not only for ease in clean up, but to uses smoked duck fat to fry potatoes, etc in? Or to confit something?

In a big offset....can you do a smoked salmon? I know you could cook it fully, but is there a way to somewhat "cold smoke" it? Would you cure it first and THEN add just a little smoke to it?

Any other fish?

I live in Louisiana....and love oysters. I like'em RAW....and chargrilled with the parm cheese and butter and seasonings...YUM. What about smoked oysters?
Anyone had them?
Are they good on their own, or would this be more of an ingredient in a gumbo/jambalaya or something else?

Anyone smoked wild hogs? Anything to watch there on those?

Anyone smoked deer or other game?

Anyway, just trying to think of some other fun things to toss in there and I figured with the collective experience and wisdom on the group, ya'll might could give me some things to look for and try.

Thank you all in advance,

cayenne
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #2
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

I go by the motto, “It’s just meat, salt, smoke and temp.” Everything you mentioned in your post can be delicious. I feel one needs to experiment with the resources one is fortunate enough to have. If you have the meat and the interest in making it great, you will. It will take time and improvement, but will happen with effort.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-26-2023, 12:28 PM   #3
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Wink Guidelanes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
I go by the motto, “It’s just meat, salt, smoke and temp.” Everything you mentioned in your post can be delicious. I feel one needs to experiment with the resources one is fortunate enough to have. If you have the meat and the interest in making it great, you will. It will take time and improvement, but will happen with effort.
All true....

But some of the meats, like lamb can get a bit pricey....

So, hoping to get some ideas/guidelines to use to explore....kinda like putting up the gutter "shields" when learning to bowl...eh?

;)

Thank you!!

C

Old 09-27-2023, 07:52 AM   #4
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Lots of questions, so I'll just stick to my self appointed area of expertise: Lamb.

My preference is always go bone in for a full leg or shoulder of lamb.

For the leg, these are usually done hot and fast. 350F until an IT of 125-135F and rest well wrapped in a cooler for about 2 hours will give you a medium result and lots of moisture.

A shoulder, you can smoke at 250 - 300F for a longer time and take up to 180-195F internal, rest then you can pull it like pulled pork if you want to. All Aussie BBQ restaurants following the American BBQ Style will have Pulled Lamb on the menu.

Chops in general should be grilled as you have already figured out.

Shanks can be smoked like the shoulder.

Seasonings: Any commercial Creole style rub works a treat with Lamb. Todd's Dirt is also made for Lamb.

If you want to start with a simple flavour profile, I thoroughly recommend a simple dusting of celery salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. This is a major hit with which I've converted a few brethren with over the years.

My other main prep for lamb leg is marinading in some dry white wine and piercing the surface of the leg with rosemary sprigs and slivers of garlic. Dust with black pepper and roast as above.

That's all I got for starters. Very interested in your results!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2023, 08:12 AM   #5
LYU370

^^^ For lamb info, always listen to the Aussies. ^^^

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2023, 08:43 AM   #6
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Lots of questions, so I'll just stick to my self appointed area of expertise: Lamb.

My preference is always go bone in for a full leg or shoulder of lamb.

For the leg, these are usually done hot and fast. 350F until an IT of 125-135F and rest well wrapped in a cooler for about 2 hours will give you a medium result and lots of moisture.

A shoulder, you can smoke at 250 - 300F for a longer time and take up to 180-195F internal, rest then you can pull it like pulled pork if you want to. All Aussie BBQ restaurants following the American BBQ Style will have Pulled Lamb on the menu.

Chops in general should be grilled as you have already figured out.

Shanks can be smoked like the shoulder.

Seasonings: Any commercial Creole style rub works a treat with Lamb. Todd's Dirt is also made for Lamb.

If you want to start with a simple flavour profile, I thoroughly recommend a simple dusting of celery salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. This is a major hit with which I've converted a few brethren with over the years.

My other main prep for lamb leg is marinading in some dry white wine and piercing the surface of the leg with rosemary sprigs and slivers of garlic. Dust with black pepper and roast as above.

That's all I got for starters. Very interested in your results!

Cheers!

Bill
Thank you!!1

This is JUST the type of info I was looking for....

I don't see lamb shoulder around my area...just the leg and chops....and boneless leg is now starting to be more prevalent than bone-in....

I like your suggestions and am gong to try it.

Just in case the only leg I can get is boneless...would you suggest the same cooking schedule for the most part?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Old 09-27-2023, 08:47 AM   #7
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Pulled lamb.. oh, yum. I wish.

I've had great luck smoking rack of lamb. It's a short cook, so it might be too small to fire up the stick burner for. But damn delicious.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:05 AM   #8
LYU370

Also look around for leg of goat. If you like lamb, you'll like goat. Cook the same as lamb, can usually find it in your local Mexi-Mart.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2023, 12:30 PM   #9
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

I'm with Bill. Bone-in though boneless will work also if that's what you have available. Lamb shoulder is insanely good smoked. I've done it quite a few times myself. Nothing to it but smoking them until pull apart tender or chopped

The pics may look like the same cut but the pulled are shoulders and the sliced is a leg of lamb

Makes mean wraps

The leg I like to smoke to slice. I made this for Thanksgiving some years ago

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-27-2023, 12:42 PM   #10
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Smoked duck is doable but you really have to poke out the breast area for the fat to render out during the cook. When I do duck I prefer leg quarters done indirect like a Weber with the SnS set up.

The leg quarters are so much better IMHO

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2023, 01:22 PM   #11
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

I've smoked a decent amount of fish, I don't brine, just rub and smoke, it cooks fast and you don't want to overcook it.

Deer meat is lean, I just hot smoke to 150 or a little less, it will be medium and you slice it, pulling won't really work, too lean...I actually prefer it unsmoked but YMMV.

wild duck and goose the same, no more then medium...but the absolute best way is a quick cure and smoke pastrami style...Done this way you can actually eat canada goose...lol
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2023, 02:52 PM   #12
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne View Post
Hi all,

Anyone smoked wild hogs? Anything to watch there on those?

Pay attention to the seasons and general living conditions of wild hogs.

If they are "pasture raised", I would have no issue eating the smaller ones. Boars need to be pretty small to avoid male hormones. Sows are pretty good up to about 100lbs.

If you can get a 40~50lb hog, gut it, burn the hair off with a weed torch (boiling water works too), season up or best .. brine, and smoke until done. I like brined with a huge amount of salt and some brown sugar.

Foil the ears and front of the snout so they don't burn

Old 09-27-2023, 05:17 PM   #13
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne View Post
Thank you!!1

Just in case the only leg I can get is boneless...would you suggest the same cooking schedule for the most part?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne
Yes, for the most part. It's a faster cook obviously. Just don't take it over 135 IT. A leg and especially a boneless leg can be dry if you take it over that and if you don't rest it properly.
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2023, 12:21 PM   #14
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Question catch pan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Smoked duck is doable but you really have to poke out the breast area for the fat to render out during the cook. When I do duck I prefer leg quarters done indirect like a Weber with the SnS set up.

The leg quarters are so much better IMHO

That looks amazing!!

Do you put a pan or anything down to catch all that fat that renders out of a duck...to. help with clean up and for later use to cook other things?

Thank you in advance,

C

Old 09-28-2023, 12:29 PM   #15
TheHojo
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ted

I second the bone in lamb shoulder - actually prefer over a pork shoulder

Smoked this one and the sides on my offset for Easter this past spring

Next up going to try a goat shoulder
Johnson Smoker Compact Ultimate Patio - retired
Brinkmann Stillwater - retired