MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #1606
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Here's a picture of the best seller. Rib tips with mac and cheese and potato salad.

Everytime you post a picture, it makes my mouth water (and I just finished eating lunch, so I'm not even hungry). I have a sudden hunger for rib tips, mac and cheese and cornbread... that cornbread looks delicious. Is it made from scratch?

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #1607
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Can I just say that everytime you post a pic the food looks great but makes the portion size look so tiny. can you post it zoomed in or grouped together to make it at least appear larger?
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #1608
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

Looking good , good luck and will keep reading your thread..
www.southernsmoker.com
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #1609
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but the rib tips are what's leftover when you cut spares down to St. Louis cut, right? How are you cooking these that they don't end up all chewy (which is what happens when I try to do this)?
Your not cooking them long enough?

Rib tips are the absolute BEST part of the rib!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #1610
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Kate Upton. At The Prized Pig? Possibly. The saga continues...
Catered the surprise 50th birthday party for her dad two years ago. She is a native of St. Joseph, MI and her parents live here so she is no stranger to the area. If she does stop in, you must ask her if the Q is as good as she had at her dad's birthday party! I'm sure she would say yes.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #1611
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
The number of drinks you are selling seems low to me. I was under the impression that drinks are a HIGH profit margin item. Is there a way you can push these? Include with a combo meal?
Yeah, drinks are a bit low, but not offering tea was a big drink killer. Tons of people would ask for tea, and since we didn't have it, just got water. But we just got both sweet and regular tea set up a few days ago. That stuff is going well.

Also, we started to pick up on some drink stealing. People were ordering water and then filling up with soda or something. But this week we're moving to a two cup system with clear cups for water and different cups that will be handed out at the register for other drinks. That should help keep leakage to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboyswagger View Post
I might have missed this but where or when can we get a shirt? I live too far away to make the drive, but I'd wear your shirt as a substitute.
I'm headed to my printer right now and placing a huge shirt order. As soon as they come in I'll post it here and I'll even have a page to order them online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Catered the surprise 50th birthday party for her dad two years ago. She is a native of St. Joseph, MI and her parents live here so she is no stranger to the area. If she does stop in, you must ask her if the Q is as good as she had at her dad's birthday party! I'm sure she would say yes.
Yeah, one of my employees is friends with her dad and said he owes a favor, so we're trying to work something out.

Also got a bikini bike wash in the works.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #1612
HarrynVegas
Full Fledged Farker

Bikini Bike Wash! If there are no pixs it didn't happen!

Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #1613
Royalslover
Full Fledged Farker

No answer to the rib tip question yet? I'm also intrigued by these. What cut are they?
Royalslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #1614
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalslover View Post
No answer to the rib tip question yet? I'm also intrigued by these. What cut are they?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=1605
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=1609

Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #1615
AdamCSmith724
Found some matches.

Hi! Just found this thread and I am really impressed. I am a cook who just lost his job at a bbq restaurant in Alabama. The food was great IMHO but the owners didn't want to advertise we were 1.5 mile from the busiest interstate in Alabama and we had to close after 8 months. So my advice is never stop advertising and try anything once if is low risk. I also have an idea for extra parking without much cost. You said you had a church across the street ask if you could use or rent the lot when they are not having service. And if you rent pay in goods and services if you can instead of cash (probably cheaper) for free advertising. Just a few thoughts from a unemployed cook in Bama. thanks

Old 04-09-2014, 04:11 AM   #1616
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalslover View Post
You can also buy rib tips by the case or in 10lb. boxes.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #1617
kaosfury
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You can also buy rib tips by the case or in 10lb. boxes.
Wait... I need to find where you are shopping for your meat. I NEED a 10# box of tips...

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #1618
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

You can get larger cases of tips as well. I just ordered 20 30# cases. I've found it's hard to find consistent and meaty tips and have gone through about four vendors.

Had a record Sunday. Usually sundays are pretty slow and it's mostly an after church lunch crowd. Not this weekend. At about 1 in the afternoon the dining room was completely full and there were about 20 more in line waiting to order. After that huge rush it started to feel like a typical Sunday and was slow the rest of the afternoon so I sent everyone home but one cashier. Big mistake. At 6 it felt like the whole town decided to come in.

It was a crazy day. Sold every ounce of meat and every last bit of all the sides. And I don't know why, but I put on 7 briskets for sunday when it's usually just a 3 brisket day. I guess it was just a gut feeling or something, but it paid off.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #1619
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the update. This thread has been a huge help to me. This fall I will be opening a Friday-Saturday restaurant that will be located in a new brewery. Thanks again for sharing your experience, it has been and will continue to be an important reference for me as I venture into the dark side.
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #1620
SuburbSlicker
Full Fledged Farker

Default Where is this Nirvana of which you speak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
Thanks for the update. This thread has been a huge help to me. This fall I will be opening a Friday-Saturday restaurant that will be located in a new brewery.
Brethren in NoVA need to know. Sounds like a great fall road trip for suburb leaf peepers....
SuburbSlicker is offline   Reply With Quote