The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Default Frustrating Cook.

I smoked some SL spares the other day on my offset. I used RO lump and peach chunks from Cabela's. Rubbed the ribs with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. I had so much trouble getting the lump to burn that I finally threw the ribs in the oven in a foil covered pan. Amazingly they were about the best ribs I've done. Perfect amount of smoke flavor, and they tasted awesome. I just can't figure out why, although I use the same two brands of lump (Lazzari and RO) I have wildly different experiences. Sometimes the fire hums along and burns at a consistent temp for an hour and a half, other times I can't control the temp to save my life. It was about 60 degrees and almost no breeze.

Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

Your ribs look great from here!

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #3
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

Was it snowing in ID?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like you have a tasty meal there...

There are differences between different brands of charcoal as well as types. Without seeing what transpired there it is hard to assist you. You said you cooked with lump before so it is not the fact that you haven't used lump before.

I prefer lump charcoal because it burns much hotter and much longer in my cooker as well as giving me much less ash in the pan.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Did you use the same starting method? Did you start out with same amount lit? What type of cooker are you using?

Old 04-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

lazzari and RO are completely different

I use both and like both. RD is much less dense and burns faster. Lazarri is mesquite and burns a lot longer
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Big George's BBQ

What are you cooking on Are your vents open and clear from obstruction Is your exhaust opened fully When I had a Meadowcreek offset I had to stop using lump as I could not keep the heat down I went to Stubbs briquettes For me that mad it easier to control my temps Ribs do look good
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

loco_engr; The weather seemed fine except it was overcast.

Garrett; I load a Weber chimney about half way with lump, then two or three chunks of wood (fruit or hickory) and fill it the rest of the way with lump. I use Gary Wiviott's lighting method of rolling three sheets of news paper into "snakes" and lighting them. Usually works good.

IamMadMan; I use Lazzari for beef and RO for everything else.

Big George's BBQ; I don't use a damper on the exaust and I keep the intake anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 open.

Also I try to keep the ash off the fuel so it doesn't smother the fire.

Here's my smoker. It's the offset:

Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
landarc

I have found with lump charcoal, because of the irregular shapes and sizes, if you just dump the charcoal into the basket and light it, the heat and burn can be irregular as well. I find that organizing my charcoal a little bit helps greatly on the burn being more consistent.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Go to a small hot fire made of nothing but wood and you'll never have those problems with lump ever again! Lump is great for starting a fire and getting a coal bed but I go with all wood from there.