Mods for ecb Brinkmann smoker

M

mredowling

Hi guy just bought my first smoker for $30 and its the cheap brinkmann ECB but i dont have $250 to spend on a smoker so im going to mod mine. any tips or links to tips would be helpful. ive found a few sites and dosent look that hard. I have no idea ow ever what thermometer to use to replace the one that it comes with any recommended brands or just any oven safe thermometer with a needle sticking out the back?
Thanks for the help ED

Try using a 12"candy or deep-fryer thermometer. Test it in boiling water to make sure that it reads 212*. Drill a small hole in the side of the ECB just under the top grate and slide the thermo in until the tip is about in the middle of the grate. Use a paper clip or some wire to hold the end from falling. This will give you a much better idea of your temps than the POS thermo that comes with the ECB. Or buy a Maverick ET-73.

the old site with the mods doesn't apply to yours as far as the lower charcoal pan. get a grate in it that will sit at least three inches off the bottom. get some holes drilled in the side just below the grate and rig something up to be able to regulate the openings. as to the top, drill some holes on the top and rig something up to regulate the hole openings. for mine i used a weber vent setup. get some stove rope or use aluminum foil to seal the lid to body area and yer set. ideas here www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

Back