• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Inexpensive cut of Beef for Kabobs?

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I made up some kabobs last night using some bottom round that I cut up into about 1.5" x 1.5" cubes and grilled it up on some skewers with bell pepper, onion and yellow squash.

The flavor was great, however the meat was pretty tough, it probably could have been cooked a little less, but even if it were med-rare this would not have been very tender.

What sort of cuts do you like to use for kabobs which are also fairly inexpensive. I'm sure that rib-eye, strip steak and tenderloin would work great, but I'm looking for lower cost options here.

Skirt steak works very well for kabobs and holds marinade quite nicely. And if you can find some hanger steak, you're in for a real treat!

Skirt steak works very well for kabobs and holds marinade quite nicely. And if you can find some hanger steak, you're in for a real treat!

I feel like skirt steak would be a little thin for kabob, no? Or do you cut it into strips and kind of thread it on to the skewer? Looking at some pics of hangar steak and it looks great, though I have never seen it around here.

I feel like skirt steak would be a little thin for kabob, no? Or do you cut it into strips and kind of thread it on to the skewer? Looking at some pics of hangar steak and it looks great, though I have never seen it around here.

When I use Skirt/Flap meat, I use a piece that is pretty thick, and cut into squares, although you could also do it in strips if you like.

Looks like Bill the Butcher isn't too far from you, maybe give them a call and see if they have/can get you some hanger steak:

http://www.billthebutcher.com

Also, here's a post I did on my blog about Hanger Steak you might enjoy:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2013/7/26/marinated-fire-grilled-hanger-steak

I made up some kabobs last night using some bottom round that I cut up into about 1.5" x 1.5" cubes and grilled it up on some skewers with bell pepper, onion and yellow squash.

The flavor was great, however the meat was pretty tough, it probably could have been cooked a little less, but even if it were med-rare this would not have been very tender.

What sort of cuts do you like to use for kabobs which are also fairly inexpensive. I'm sure that rib-eye, strip steak and tenderloin would work great, but I'm looking for lower cost options here.
I've always used sirloin steak for kabobs. It's usually a little less expensive per lb. than rib-eye or NY strip and is usually pretty tender as well with the right marinade!:wink:

If you can find Chuck eyes... They are amazing med rare but also hold up to a higher internal than other cuts while remaining tender and flavorfull. Sucking having to balance your meat vs veggies doneness.

sirloin....marinate for a few hours...lots of flavor and just the right amount of chew.

When I use Skirt/Flap meat, I use a piece that is pretty thick, and cut into squares, although you could also do it in strips if you like.

Looks like Bill the Butcher isn't too far from you, maybe give them a call and see if they have/can get you some hanger steak:

http://www.billthebutcher.com

Also, here's a post I did on my blog about Hanger Steak you might enjoy:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2013/7/26/marinated-fire-grilled-hanger-steak

Thanks Moose. Bill the Butcher is actually just down the street from my house, but I won't shop there. However, Golden Steer is just down the road from my office and they always treat me well. I think I'll try sirloin next as that's easiest to get ahold of and then try hangar.

I could definitely see flat iron steak working well if you can find one thick enough to cube up.

If you can find Chuck eyes... They are amazing med rare but also hold up to a higher internal than other cuts while remaining tender and flavorfull. Sucking having to balance your meat vs veggies doneness.

Chuck eyes are a great less expensive cut! Fwiw, when I do kabobs, I do all the meat on one group of skewers, and all the veggies on another set of skewers. It might not look as nice, but it keeps each thing cooked perfectly, or as close as I can get anyway. :rolleyes:

Either

Sirloin or Top Round steak often labeled London Broil are may favorites as you can get a real big cube of meat as opposed to the flank steak...

Back