MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Default Ribs in a UDS

My ribs in my masterbuilt electric smoker always turned out yummy and the meat flaked off the bone. I made my first set of ribs today in my UDS. I maintained 200-245 degrees for 6 hours today. They were yummy but they were not as tender. The meat didn't fall off the bone as usual. In the electric smoker I always had a small waterpan. In my UDS it was just a dry smoke but the moisture dripping off the lid was immense so I doubt that contributed to anything.

Only thing I wonder is we bought these ribs at the local grocer and in the past we always bought ribs from wal mart. Different brands. This batch I made today were a lot fattier than I normally get. They were pretty fatty pork ribs.

Could it be the poor fatty cuts of meat or is there something I need to do different in a UDS compared to my old electric? Hams and birds have been great in this UDS. I have never pre boiled ribs for the record.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Well, the ribs you bought at Walmart were prolly from Tyson and enhanced with X% solution. These prolly weren't, and were prolly the real deal... Cheers!!!

Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
prodano
On the road to being a farker

Default Ribs in a UDS

May want to try smoking in the 250 - 275 range. Also, ribs may have been slightly undercooked? Did they pass the bend or toothpick test? You could also try foiling your ribs until you break in the UDS a little more and get a feel for how it cooks.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

You need to cook the ribs until they are tender, not by time. If you like fall off the bone you can twist a bone and to see when it pulls out easily.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

The bones fell out if you pulled on them but the meat just wasn't falling off. I mean you couldn't just take a fork and flake it apart like normal. They weren't horrible just a little more chewy than normal. Definitely not my best.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
You need to cook the ribs until they are tender, not by time. If you like fall off the bone you can twist a bone and to see when it pulls out easily.
^^^THIS^^^^

If they're not as tender as you like....let em roll.

And TECHNICALLY....ribs that are so tender that you can eat em with a fork and they sluff off the bone are overcooked. Not saying that's WRONG...many people like em that way. It's just that anyone can get that tenderness, they just have to cook em longer. If you want to try and add a water pan in the UDS on the bottom rack, try it and see if you like the results better.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodano View Post
May want to try smoking in the 250 - 275 range. Also, ribs may have been slightly undercooked? Did they pass the bend or toothpick test? You could also try foiling your ribs until you break in the UDS a little more and get a feel for how it cooks.

Explain those tests please?

Old 03-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
jmoney7269
Banned

If you pick them up in the middle with a pair of tongs, and they bend over real limp or break they are done. Or stick a toothpick between the bones in the middle of the rack and if it slides through like buttah it's done also. This video Should help a little, bend test is @3:25
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwr View Post
Explain those tests please?
The bend test works for bite off the bone doness, not fall off the bone. The rack will fall apart if you try it at falling off the bone doneness.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
prodano
On the road to being a farker

Default Ribs in a UDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
If you pick them up in the middle with a pair of tongs, and they bend over real limp or break they are done. Or stick a toothpick between the bones in the middle of the rack and if it slides through like buttah it's done also. This video Should help a little, bend test is @3:25
J$ BBQ vault ribs with charcoal - YouTube
Couldn't have said it better myself

Old 03-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Bludawg

I have found that 275-300 is a great temp for not just ribs but all BBQ Try them a little hotter the next time. A water pan in a UDS isn't needed all it dose is limit your temps and wasted charcoal.

Bend test

Old 03-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Bluedawg is spot on with the temps IMO. The bend test he shows is also just what you want to see for bite off the bone ribs; however, as you can see, fall off the bone will break apart and, well, fall off the bone if you try that.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm no expert, but to me falling off the bone is over-cooked and over-rated. I want a little tug. I want ALMOST falling off the bone. Just my opinion. Probably from all those years when I grilled ribs in an hour and a half and one had to chew the meat off.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

so I should try upping the temps and cutting the time back? I always thought smoking was about super low temps and extra long times. I thought this made meat tender not higher temps and shorter times. I will try this next time.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Bludawg

At 275 a rack of St Louie bones will take 3.5-4 hrs on average to pass the bend test.

1 members found this post helpful.