MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Default Finding decent Lump in the Dearborn Mi area

Does anyone know for sure where I can find anything but Cowboy in my area?

I want to get a bag of something this morning. I have about 1/4 bag of Wicked Good left, and I also have some Kroger lump which is ok. I also have another bag of WW on order from Ace

I have not been to the dreaded Walmart in my area, on Telegraph in Taylor I hate going there but I will if I know they have RO or something decent. The one Walmart I checked by my work had Best of the West, which was horrible.

I dont what to drive all over or a long way with the price of gas and I just dont feel like it. I can go get another bag of Kroger to get me through my cook today if I have to

thanks
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

If you have an ace hardware they will ship wg weekend warrior to it for free if you order off their website.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Mrpotamus
Knows what a fatty is.

The Kroger lump IS Royal Oak lump. No need to go to Walmart. I find Kroger lump works quite nicely.
Mrpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireburd View Post
If you have an ace hardware they will ship wg weekend warrior to it for free if you order off their website.
I did order some. Please re read my post.

thanks

Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpotamus View Post
The Kroger lump IS Royal Oak lump. No need to go to Walmart. I find Kroger lump works quite nicely.
thanks. I had read that but was not sure. The Kroger lump I got was all millwood scraps, a lot of smaller pieces. But it was pretty decent

I did not think RO was that way, but I have never used it before so I dont know.

I guess I am spoiled being used to Wicked Good.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Mrpotamus
Knows what a fatty is.

I also find that I get a lot of mill wood scraps,but I don't see the problem with that. It's still wood, and you don't get any bark. As for size, maybe I have been lucky, but I find I get mostly large and medium pieces. There are of course some small pieces, but very little that falls through the charcoal grate on my uds basket.
Mrpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpotamus View Post
I also find that I get a lot of mill wood scraps,but I don't see the problem with that. It's still wood, and you don't get any bark. As for size, maybe I have been lucky, but I find I get mostly large and medium pieces. There are of course some small pieces, but very little that falls through the charcoal grate on my uds basket.
I am not saying there is a problem with millwood scraps, it was just an observation.

Like I said I have never used RO before, I was just curious.

I was just at Kroger and bought another bag. I will see if this one is any better, maybe I just got a bag with smaller stuff the first time, that was my first bag

thanks

Old 02-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't you have any GFS Marketplace stores on that side of the state? Their private label brand of lump is packaged by Royal Oak.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Don't you have any GFS Marketplace stores on that side of the state? Their private label brand of lump is packaged by Royal Oak.
yes I can try there. Last time I was there I did not see any charcoal. I will ask, I dont know if its seasonal or not.

thanks!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
captainrock39
Got Wood.

a little late but on ford rd between merriman and middlebelt at town and country hardware store they have a excellant selection of bbq stuff
captainrock39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Meijers has Cowboy also.
MI Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
yes I can try there. Last time I was there I did not see any charcoal. I will ask, I dont know if its seasonal or not.

thanks!!!
I buy charcoal at GFS all year round, It's also the only lump I've ever used, and they carry it year round. The one near me also carries fresh meat- pork and beef ribs, butts and briskets- in vacuum pack.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrock39 View Post
a little late but on ford rd between merriman and middlebelt at town and country hardware store they have a excellant selection of bbq stuff
yeah, they are 2 miles from me, but all they carry is Cowboy.

they have a lot of grills and accessories, but when it comes to smokers they have nothing, Lowes has a lot more

Old 02-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Lots of Home Supply places like Lowes and Home Depot carry lump.
I also find it at Academy Sports, hardware stores and grocery stores.

Last edited by Ole Man Dan; 02-24-2013 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: bold
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
Lots of Home Supply places like Lowes and Home Depot carry lump.
I also find it at Academy Sports, hardware stores and grocery stores.
All Lowes and HD by me have is Cowboy. Actually HD doesnt have anything since it out of season. There is no Academy in my area.

The Kroger lump ended up being good. Here is a pic

Last edited by ButtBurner; 07-23-2015 at 07:21 AM..