MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #31
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think it comes down to what do you feel comfortable saying with a straight face.

My wife was valedictorian of her high school class. If I were to mention this in her presence, she would immediately qualify it as she was co-valedictorian. Each time she does this I remind her that people don't rescind their first impression after hearing that it was shared with someone else. "You don't need to qualify it." It makes her feel better, though. And that's all that counts. She'll always be a "co-valedictorian". So be it.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #32
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

That would have been Darren ... but he's from Iowa.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #33
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Really work around the issue creatively. Name a team World BBQ, then when it wins a championship, it will always be World Championship BBQ

Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #34
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchlady View Post
heyyyy... lunchmeat represented PA at the Jack two years ago!

The first time I ever saw a 'state championship' awarded at an event was at Pork In The Park in 2004. Sandy gives out Grand, Reserve Grand, and a Maryland State Champ (they come from MD) I kinda thought it was a Mid-Atlantic thing, very cool for those that live there, and a great way to get local teams to come out.

OC... I say put whatever you want on your banner... you are paying for it.
Whoever wants to get into it with you... best of luck to them.
You've got the bling , right?
Yardley? I forgot that comp. wasnt sure if it ran that year or ended the year b4.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #35
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

But only one wins the Jack, you can enjoy your Empire Cup for a little longer, The Jack Lasts Forever.. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
No unification comp needed; this is all I have to say about that... and
I think my NY pitch beyotch would agree:
Attachment 37368

I can't remember how we figured it, but based on how it was portrayed on "pitmasters" show, there was a little creative license going on. I think they counted the hog you mention twice... once for world champ (for hog) and once for the world champ (for overall highest score).... Not Dissing Myron - just showing Matt another example of how he can word his wins.

I am the only National Brisket Champion for 2009, thanks to my Chest to Chest invitational win.... but technically the world brisket OPEN (not invitational) can also crown a "world" champ... for those who enter.

I think we need a new thread for best "Marketing modified" titles
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #36
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmaker23 View Post
But only one wins the Jack, you can enjoy your Empire Cup for a little longer, The Jack Lasts Forever.. LOL
<Smack Tawk Alert>.....starting... now:

At least til the next Jack winner... By the way, who won brisket in 2008? (without going and looking at thier website)

I can't wait to see you at the two national invitationals this year... GAB and AR Then we can mix it up a little and see which brisket is better ... the JD or C2C winners Heck, at the BotB, too... right?

I have to beg to differ... It takes a SEASON of consistency to win the Empire Cup, I think that lives on And Lady Liberty and I are enjoying her inaugural year. Wait til you see her blog posts.

<Smack Tawk Alert> ending.... now

(Ok, I have talked more crap then I have in the last 5 years in this thread - so now I will go to my room.... even if it is fun teasing Eric)

Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #37
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
<Smack Tawk Alert>...
By the way, who won brisket in 2008?
I believe it was Bubba and Jeff ? ... they were congratulating us on 2nd and almost missed it when they called their name...

I agree... consistency is the key and you DESERVE the Empire State Cup. You travelled far out of your area and kicked a$$ so many times to take it, so I congratulate you again!
But, beware... there are many of us that want that cup this year,
~ smack~
, (while having one hell of a time WITH you!)

Any contest in the state has an opportunity to get in touch with the peeps that run the Empire State Cup... I am sure that they would be inclusive, not exclusive, it is better for their events.

I also think that it would be awesome to have a shoot-out type comp... but probably impractical cuz you'd never get everyone to go... whether they were a'scared or already had previous plans...
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #38
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Default Re: To be considered a State Champion

I am sure glad that Pitmasters is over and the real smack talk can start

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #39
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hummmmmm.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #40
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Really work around the issue creatively. Name a team World BBQ, then when it wins a championship, it will always be World Championship BBQ
I had a friend who named all of his intramural teams in school, BYE. When people would read the schedule it would always read, vs BYE. He claims to have won more than one forfeit when the other team didn't show.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #41
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

When biding a cater gig the two state championships just happen to get mentioned
Rib Ca Brisket AZ
Nether was at a huge contest
But they were state championships and I won

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #42
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchlady View Post
I believe it was Bubba and Jeff ? ... they were congratulating us on 2nd and almost missed it when they called their name...

I agree... consistency is the key and you DESERVE the Empire State Cup. You travelled far out of your area and kicked a$$ so many times to take it, so I congratulate you again!
But, beware... there are many of us that want that cup this year,
~ smack~ , (while having one hell of a time WITH you!)

Any contest in the state has an opportunity to get in touch with the peeps that run the Empire State Cup... I am sure that they would be inclusive, not exclusive, it is better for their events.

I also think that it would be awesome to have a shoot-out type comp... but probably impractical cuz you'd never get everyone to go... whether they were a'scared or already had previous plans...
It absolutely was Bubba and Jeff!! I was just busting Eric's ba!!s a little, cuz I didnt think he knew. 2008 was so much fun getting to cook with the BBQ Brethen team at the Jack, the stories will be shared from there for life!!! I was just giving him a little reminder about how long forever is in BBQ. heheh.... only good enough til the next weekend LOL

I just feel lucky to have had the chance to get it done... I couldnt have done it without Sean, Phil, Eric, Brendan, Steve Z., Steve F., Mike C., etc. all sharing thier cars, homes ,cookers, pellets, meat purchases, to make the logistics of a Kansancooking on the East coast 6 different times, possible. And even more important than the cup, is all the fun I got to have drinking killer brew with Lakeside at 1am.... fresh steamers right of the grill at Yanni's in Troy... Definately DamnDip and whatever that awesome chicken stuff was at Placid...Clearing the pool at Hudson Valley when all the fat boys got in... What a summer. It really is an experience the entire family will remember for life. And we forged so many new friendships, and grew old ones. I can't wait to do it all again.

The funny thing is - Kim just mentioned tonight how she was uber-excited that she would finally get to checkout some damn dip this year, since she sacked out before it appeared at Placid LOL

Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #43
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
I had a friend who named all of his intramural teams in school, BYE. When people would read the schedule it would always read, vs BYE. He claims to have won more than one forfeit when the other team didn't show.
THAT is awesome. Very creative

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #44
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Funny yes, but wouldn't that suck when the other team didn't show? I'd rather play and lose then get all ready to play then not have an opponent.