MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #4366
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There is an equation for intake size to exhaust size and I believe if these two factors are applied then it should not matter, unless it got ridicules.
Dave

Old 10-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #4367
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

I have gotten a lot of good info out of this thread so here is my $.02 worth. Hopefully it'll help someone out. When I built my UDS I couldn't find a fire grate for 18" grill, so I used one for the 22.5" grill which makes my fire basket 18" in diameter. The problem was that I couldn't find anything that size to use for an ash pan, untill this afternoon. I was at the Dollar General Store down the road and spotted this 18" throwaway grill. It was marked $12.00, not too bad, so I grabbed one. When I checked out it was on end of summer clearance for $3.60!!! SWEET!! I grabbed another for a spare. It fits my oversized charcoal basket perfect!! If anybody else has had this problem I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS parts 001.jpg (66.0 KB, 1090 views)
File Type: jpg UDS parts 004.jpg (78.1 KB, 1089 views)
File Type: jpg UDS parts 003.jpg (83.5 KB, 1085 views)

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #4368
Ol Norski
Got Wood.

Talking Got 'r did!!!! Ol Norski's UDS

I greased down the innards and did a seasoning smoke yesterday. Loaded up the fire basket and smoked a 1/2 pork butt and a coupla venison/beef meatloafs today.

I went with the basic build for my first one. Everything worked as y'all said it would. Fire control was excellent. Temps were steady and I could adjust from 225 up to 450 no problem.

Many thanks to all who contribute to this "Mother Of All UDS Threads" (yeah, I read the whole farkin' thing!!!).

Ol Norski is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #4369
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Great idea DRIFTER...I had the same problem and did the same thing you did. The only thing I did was I drilled some holes on the sides of the ash pan for airflow cause I thought it was a little tight.
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #4370
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congratsz!
Nice looking drum.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #4371
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
Great idea DRIFTER...I had the same problem and did the same thing you did. The only thing I did was I drilled some holes on the sides of the ash pan for airflow cause I thought it was a little tight.
Yeah, it needs holes for airflow, but I was trying to get the picture made before it got completly dark on me! It will have more holes before I fire it up again.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #4372
rjdumas
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hey I've been reading and i'm up to 160's. I'm building one right now and just have a quick ? is it ok for the in take pipes to be glav. metal?? What I've seen so far is your worried it will get too hot on the inside but mine isn't in the drum and shouldn't get hot enough right???

Thats the only threaded pipe i could get from the hardware store.

Thanks for all the info and all the great pics. Can't wait this will be my first smoker.
rjdumas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #4373
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdumas View Post
is it ok for the in take pipes to be glav. metal??
galvanized=death

Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #4374
Ol Norski
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ View Post
galvanized=death

Yep. It'll start with things falling off.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #4375
rjdumas
Got rid of the matchlight.

damn
rjdumas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #4376
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I have gotten a lot of good info out of this thread so here is my $.02 worth. Hopefully it'll help someone out. When I built my UDS I couldn't find a fire grate for 18" grill, so I used one for the 22.5" grill which makes my fire basket 18" in diameter. If anybody else has had this problem I hope this helps.
Been through that, 214 pages ago.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=1168

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #4377
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Sorry about the repost, I was just trying to help. While I have gotten a lot of good info from this thread, and this site since I found it, I did not read EVERY page of a 250+ page thread.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #4378
Typically
On the road to being a farker

its only 88 pages if you put it to 50 posts per page :D

Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #4379
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ View Post
galvanized=death

It is has been discussed. Many would prefer to avoid the question by avoiding galvanized. If you don't avoid it - then the question becomes at what temp does Galvanized become dangerous. please do the research yourself, but 30 seconds on the web showed that the coating will flake at about 400 degrees, and possibly out-gas at 800. Nipples being below the fire and being connected to a big heat sink will probably not even get over 400. Likewise, except in a possible burnout - the top will not get above 800. The only place that you might have problems is if you used it for your firebox.

fwiw, brass also has toxic fume issues - but you have to get pretty hot first. I really like my shinny bass nipples.
---
that said, I am serious considering using a fan based system (such as a BBQ Guru). If I go that route - I will probably set it up with a forced draft over ride to start the coals. I might also plumb that for propane (so I can get a one match start). If I do this I will effectively have a blast furnace hitting the fire box - so much for keeping it under 400 degrees. I would not be comfortable with those parts being galvanized.

Last edited by jcinadr; 10-20-2009 at 09:53 AM..
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #4380
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I have gotten a lot of good info out of this thread so here is my $.02 worth. Hopefully it'll help someone out. When I built my UDS I couldn't find a fire grate for 18" grill, so I used one for the 22.5" grill which makes my fire basket 18" in diameter. The problem was that I couldn't find anything that size to use for an ash pan, untill this afternoon. I was at the Dollar General Store down the road and spotted this 18" throwaway grill. It was marked $12.00, not too bad, so I grabbed one. When I checked out it was on end of summer clearance for $3.60!!! SWEET!! I grabbed another for a spare. It fits my oversized charcoal basket perfect!! If anybody else has had this problem I hope this helps.
I used a similar setup for mine.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker