• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Aging Brisket

MoKanMeathead

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Who ages their beef (brisket specifically) for competitions? How long do you age it and how do you do it? Just leave it in the cryovac in a cold refridgerator? I have heard that you can age it for up to 50 days from the kill date but how do you know the kill date unless you buy it from a butcher who did the killing?

If there is another thread out there on this I couldn't find it.

Thanks

i wet age 30-45 days from the Sell by date. Back of the fridge where its about 34-35 degrees. If no sell by date, i go by date of purchase and dont go over 30 days aging.

Theres a bunch of briskets posts in our roadmap. IN one of the links, I think DrBBQ goes into detail of wetaging.

Wayne,

Take a gander here for some info on aging.
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10488&highlight=cab

The link referred to in that thread is broken from the move.
Ray posted classic gudance on aging in the broken link.
Title was "Here is what I know about brisket", to the best of my memory.

Maybe we can sweet talk Phil into finding it in the old database.

Chad and I wet age as often as we can.

TIM

On edit--just found Ray's post!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9719&highlight=brisket

On second edit--went back and corrected reference in the other thread mentioned above.
"All is well" now
icon_biggrin.gif

The_Kapn said:
Wayne,

Take a gander here for some info on aging.
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10488&highlight=cab

The link referred to in that thread is broken from the move.
Ray posted classic gudance on aging in the broken link.
Title was "Here is what I know about brisket", to the best of my memory.

Maybe we can sweet talk Phil into finding it in the old database.

Chad and I wet age as often as we can.

TIM

On edit--just found Ray's post!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9719&highlight=brisket

yup. its in the roadmap. Post #23. Was just coming here to post it.

but you may STILL sweet talk me honey.

I researched and worked with aging meat for a few years. I would age my 12 & Up whole briskets 45 - 50 days from the kill date shown on the side of the case. These briskets were placed in a dedicated commercial refrigerator set on 36 degrees. I probably cooked 250 - 300 aged briskets. In all that time, only once did I have a bad brisket and it was my fault.

Here are some tips I learned. Watch the gas bubbles in the cry-o-vac. When they go from being very small to about dime size, it's time to cook or freeze that brisket. If they get to quarter size, it's time to cook that brisket today! Always, always, always go by the kill date when aging brisket. Also, if you're going to stretch wet aging to it's limits (50 days), the more you know about how that brisket was treated before it made it's way to you, the better. On refrigerator temps, anything below 35 degrees is preserving/prolonging the meat, not aging it. Ideal temps are 35 - 37 degrees. The refrigerator in your Kitchen is a bad choice. Aging meat requires a stable environment. The temperature fluctuations associated with opening the door on your fridge, even once a day, is not good for aging meat.

One note on smell, when you open the package of a 45- 50 day wet aged brisket, it will have a distinct beefy musky smell, but it won't be in any way offensive. A bad brisket has a sharper, sour smell. There is a big difference.

Above all else, be careful. Nobody wants to make someone sick with bad meat. When in doubt, throw it out. It just isn't worth it

One more thing I forgot to mention, I don't age my meat any more. My supplier ages it for me. It takes some planning on my part, but it's a lot easier to just pick up a case of wet aged briskets that I know have been kept in the proper environment during the process.

How low down in temperature does a wine refrigerator go? They have glass doors and might be perfect for aging beef.

Smoker said:
How low down in temperature does a wine refrigerator go? They have glass doors and might be perfect for aging beef.

Not cold enough, some will get down to around 45*. And that's too cold for most wines.

Thank you for the link - what a great post by Ray (thanks Ray)...and Rod thanks as always I really appreciate your guidance. Looking forward to seeing you this year.

Smoker said:

I have a Kitchenaid wine refrigerator and it will get down to the low 30's. I don't think I'd be keeping wine at that temp.

Beer just above 35 is good....Then again stoli and peperment at 30 guuuud cracker!:razz:

Back