MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 AM   #1
SmokinBerto
Knows what a fatty is.

Default A promise kept

When my daughter married in June 2012, her Matron of honor & the matron's father went above & beyond to make the wedding happen. There were a number of mild catastrophes averted thanks to them. I told Sara (my daughter's MOH). That when she married I'd be there to do for her what she & her father did for my daughter. Well the day before yesterday I got the call. Sara is getting married the first week in October & I've been asked to smoke the reception dinner. I've never cooked for 100 people! I'm guessing it will take 3-4 UDS' to cook that much food. I haven't been informed of what the menu is yet, just that I'd be cooking it. The wedding is going to be ultra casual, think my big redneck wedding. I'm going to try to steer them in the direction of Ribs & Chicken. If they decide on ribs, how many racks are going to be enough for 100 guests? My daughter was going to start buying & freezing the meat they decide on. I told her it would probably be better to buy the meat inside of a week of the wedding in bulk & that the meat market may give her a discount. My daughter lives just south of DC. The wedding will most probably take place in Richmond VA, as the bride to be resides there. Any suggestions on butchers in that neck of the woods.
I have 1 UDS at present with plans for 3 more. I'll have to pack them in the truck drive to VA. My daughter & son both want one so I'll be light 2 upon returning. Merry Christmas kids.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Way to keep your word brother. That's commendable.

Are you doing spares or baby backs? With 2 meats, I would recommends at 35 racks of spare ribs for 100 people. Even with St. Louis cut, that will give some good portion sizes.

Are you doing chicken quarters or chopped?

As for south of DC, there is a Restaurant Depot in Alexandria that will have all the supplies you need. If the weeding is in Richmond, there are a few Costcos down there. I get my ribs there and they run ~$140-150 per case for St. Louis cut spares.
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
SmokinBerto
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks va_connoisseur My daughter frequents costco. So I'll advise her of that. I've not yet got the desired menu. So I don't know what they want, just hope to steer them in a direction that's not super pricey or hard to cook. How many UDS' do you think will be necessary to do 35 racks?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

I think you're going to need at least 3, maybe 4. I believe they are about the size of the WSM 22 and I have done 6 racks easily so you should have no issues doing 8-10, especially if you have rib racks. And depending on the second protein, you may be working like yourself crazy. Are you going to have help?
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
rumproastiltskin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'd offer to help fab those UDS but I'm up in Greenville area. Still, I've got leads on drums if you need them-though you potbelly have more/better suppliers down there.

The Smithfield plant near Richmond could probably give you a good price on a large bulk order; however, I agree with via_connoisseur - Costco by the case will probably be your best bet in terms of price and quality. Even if you have to purchase a membership just for the meat you will still save $$$.

Good luck. Congratulations. Let me know if you're in the area and want some help
rumproastiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Wherever you are buying meat, give them a heads up.
Even costco is not going to have 35 racks readily available.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
RolandJT
is one Smokin' Farker

If you are willing to go for basic pulled pork you may not need many cookers.

At 1/2 pound per that is 1 pound of raw boned pork butts.

about 10 whole butts--only 2 cookers.
RolandJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would beg to differ on the ribs and chicken for 100. That is actually the hardest thing to cook for 100 people. Some numbers.

If you do ribs, you will need 4 bones per person, on average for baby backs, three bones for spares. That means (eliminating the small end bones and any shiners) somewhere around 40 racks for baby backs or 30 racks for spares. Ribs do not hold well, so you will want to take them off no more than 30 minutes prior to service. My UDS will hold 6 racks of spares, if they are trimmed. Which means you would need 5 UDS cookers rolling. About the same for baby backs. That is just for the ribs.

100 pieced of chicken? Cooked on a UDS? Maybe if they are wings you could get away with 3 UDS cookers for 100 pieces of wings or drums. But, if people are going to want breasts and such, no way a UDS is going to get it done.

If ribs and chicken is really what you want to cook, you need to look in to renting a rig, something with some real capacity. A 72" offset with two racks would be a good start. Oh, are you doing just meats or the full dinner? Is there an oven? How do you intend to hold the food?

I don't mean to be a damper on your enthusiasm, but, I have cooked for 100 before, and I have cooked and done other things at weddings before (for the record, I hate weddings). You only get one shot at them. If I had the gear, ribs and chicken for 100 is a piece of cake, on UDS cookers, I think I would steer people to pulled pork and roast beef. If you must have a "white meat" then I would do the pulled pork and marinated chicken breasts.

Also, if you are going to do this with multiple UDS cookers, might be a good idea to run a practice session or two with a setup. It's pretty easy, usually.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Bbq Bubba

This is great advise ^^^^^^^^^^

Build 1 more drum. Cook a case of pork butts and get 2 cases 5oz pre portioned chicken breasts and cook them on a grill. Everything done and hot at one time.
What are you doing about sides?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

What does "plans for 3 more" mean when it comes to the number of UDSs? Are people going to loan them? Are you going to build them? Using multiple UDSs for 100 people can be a nightmare. Multiple fires, multiple temps, multiple checks of food, etc. what about renting a cooker and doing whole hog? Much simpler and has a nice "wow" factor suitable for a wedding.
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
DonInGlenAllenVa
Got rid of the matchlight.

I live in Richmond. If that's not the week we're down in Disney World, I'd be glad to help. I could smoke as many as 8-9 butts on my Big Green Egg XL. Would be glad to do that for you.

Don
DonInGlenAllenVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
SmokinBerto
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInGlenAllenVa View Post
I live in Richmond. If that's not the week we're down in Disney World, I'd be glad to help. I could smoke as many as 8-9 butts on my Big Green Egg XL. Would be glad to do that for you.

Don
Thanks for the offer, the wedding is supposed to be October 4th. I still haven't got a menu. So I'm not certain what I'll be cooking. I called my daughter yesterday she hasn't a clue

Old 08-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
SmokinBerto
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
This is great advise ^^^^^^^^^^

Build 1 more drum. Cook a case of pork butts and get 2 cases 5oz pre portioned chicken breasts and cook them on a grill. Everything done and hot at one time.
What are you doing about sides?
I'm hoping someone else is doing sides

Old 08-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #14
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

PM sent

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
IamMadMan

I think instead of waiting for them to give you the menu, you should sit down with them and make the menu using meats more conducive to your cookers and your skills for cooking for larger crowds.

I mean it is their wedding day, a day they will remember for the rest of their lives whether good or bad.

It's the simple things in planning that can make or break a great cook for an event like this. Plan ahead.!!! The mention of pulled pork above, I would like to point out that the butts will easily hold temperatures in a well insulated cooler for many hours. I have held them for almost 8 hours and they are still too hot to handle when they come out. Planning for a four hour rest will free up a lot of times to get many other things accomplished during the final hours. They will withstand any delays for the serving times as well where other meats will not.

Like Landarc said, ribs do not hold well. You don't want to be remembered as they guy who cooked dry ribs at Sara's wedding... (LOL)

Keep us posted on your progress....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote