MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
Lion Bout The Q
Full Fledged Farker

Default Best temperature for St Louis Spares

Looking for temperature of Spares for vending, non wrapped. What to shoot for thats not completely fall off the bone.
Thanks
Lion Bout The Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Hmm, never had a number. Bend test for me.

For brisket I've averaged my number to usually 203'ish but never with ribs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
Lion Bout The Q
Full Fledged Farker

I get the bend test and I have timing on comp ribs. I just thought some of those that vends might shoot for a temp than doing the bend test on 100 racks.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I just did spares on my vertical offset and it was 5 hours and some change. Bite through clean off the bone. Temp ranged from 225-300 when throwing in splits.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Bout The Q View Post
I get the bend test and I have timing on comp ribs. I just thought some of those that vends might shoot for a temp than doing the bend test on 100 racks.
I have vend cooked them a few times and still just use the bend test and hold in a Cambro. I use time as my indicator and give myself an hours worth of grace.

Last time I cooked 40 racks and they all were done within a half hour of each other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #6
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Bout The Q View Post
Because therming a 100 racks would be faster than bend testing them???
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Lion Bout The Q
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the no help response.. I was just curious on what others shoot for, But yes , thermo pen every rack would be much faster than the bend test as I have to cook this many ribs in racks and it would take much more effort to pull each one. But hey ,thanks
Old 12-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
5am
On the road to being a farker

I used to think temping ribs was weird. I know at least 2 really good ribs cooks off the top of my head that temp their ribs, and use the probe to feel for resistance as well(I'm guessing). The only issue is, depending on your cooker,the type of rib, wrapped vs unwrapped and the temp you cook at, the temperature of doneness can swing 10-15 degrees. That's why bending and feeling for resistance is a preferred way on checking for tenderness. Temperature will fluctuate with so many different variables, "the feel" is pretty universal.
5am is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #9
pasquale388
On the road to being a farker

When I am catering I use my thermopen to see the resistance and I am normally pulling about 185 when I look at the temp from time to time
pasquale388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->