MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
BenRias
Got Wood.

Default Pull apart pork at 195F but not 205?

OK, so this was a new twist in pulling pork for me. Last week, my boneless pork butt wasn't pull apart tender despite reaching 208F. I figured that I reached my target temperature too fast or that I didn't foil long enough. (Low smoke at 250-280 for 5 hours until I hit 160F, foiled for 3 hours at 325-375F, sort of a modified hot/fast technique...this technique worked consistently for me many times previously.)

This week, I smoked a butt for about three hours (say appx 280-300F.) Then foiled for about 4-5 hours (about 250-280F...possibly 300 at times, thermometer was sketchy.) It seemed to stall at about 190-195F. So I let it continue cooking while foiled. After another hour or so, I had to pull it off due to time constraints.

And to my surprise, the pork pulled apart easily...despite only being 195 (this was according to my thermoworks probe, so I believe it was pretty accurate.)

I haven't had pork pull apart that easily at that low of a temperature before. And I've never had pork NOT pull apart after hitting 205 like last week.

I'm thinking that the foiling helps break down the collagen, so the longer foil time helped this week; while last week, I just reached 205 too fast and/or didn't foil long enough. All other previous times, when I got probe-tender pork using the shorter foil time, I was probably just lucky and got tender pork from some combination of all variables.

So what are your thoughts?
BenRias is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Boneless cook to probe tender Bone in cook until the bones wiggles like a Loose baby tooth.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Each piece of meat I different. I'll bet if you checked some of those other butts they might have pulled at a lower temp. On the one that didn't pull once it hit 205, it may have hit the point where it was easy to pull and started to dry out, even in the foil. I personally don't use foil. I cook every thing at 270 and don't open the cooker for at least 8 hours. You should be cooking by feel and not time and temp. When a but is done, a probe inserted should feel like it is going into soft butter.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
wayne77
Full Fledged Farker

Butts can be different. There's no set temp. I tend to pull mine between 195-205. At 195 I try to wiggle the bone out just a little to see how tender it is. Maybe slide the probe in to see how soft it is. Usually it needs 30-60 more minutes. Try going by feel next time and see hoe that works for you.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #5
Kyle Serlington
Full Fledged Farker

i try not to foil my butts, and if i do it's usually in the last hour or 2 of when i want to have it ready so i can speed up the cooking if it's not as far along as i want. i always cook bone in too. i usually cook into the 190s, i can't recall, i usually just go by feel. always let it rest for a little while too. sometimes parts of it are a little tough to pull but they're still good eatin
Kyle Serlington is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #6
1MoreFord
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Every now and then your cook surprises you. I once cooked 4 racks of loin back ribs that surprised me. All about the same weight 'cause I made sure when I bought 'em. One rack finished early. 2 about as expected. Wound up finishing one in the oven 'cause I didn't want to tend the pit anymore.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn & Original Ok Joe Vertical Roasting Oven hybrid, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #7
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Think it probably had something to do with 3 hours in the foil versus 5 hours in the foil. 5 hours in foil could make shoe leather fall apart tender.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

Stop looking at your thermometer. It's BBQ not rocket science. Every chunk of meat cooks differently. Just cook it till it's done. When the bone wiggles loose or you can slide a probe in like hot butta. You can't cook BBQ to a given temp. I cooked 2 briskets of the same size on the same cooker side by side and had one finish 3 hours earlier than the other.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2015, 12:55 AM   #9
PatAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Each piece of meat I different. I'll bet if you checked some of those other butts they might have pulled at a lower temp. On the one that didn't pull once it hit 205, it may have hit the point where it was easy to pull and started to dry out, even in the foil. I personally don't use foil. I cook every thing at 270 and don't open the cooker for at least 8 hours. You should be cooking by feel and not time and temp. When a but is done, a probe inserted should feel like it is going into soft butter.
^^^This!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #10
IamMadMan

I've had buts done at 187 and other at 200+...

As the other said, temperature is a guide, not a way of checking for being done...

Cook until the bones wiggles like a loose tooth, boneless - cook until probe tender.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
MartinM
Full Fledged Farker

I cook butts, chucks and brisket by feel and color. The only temp probe I use is for cooker temp.
For leaner cuts I use a temp probe for control... Nobody wants to eat a shoe...

Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Boshizzle

One other thing, generally, the higher the cooking temp the higher the internal temp of the meat needs to be to pull.