MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Dockman
Got Wood.

Default Another shot at brisket

Time to try a brisket on the MES 40! Going to marinade it for 24-36 hours with coke, bbq sauce, and make some A1 or woshershire. Then for rub I plan to use salt, pepper, and steak rub! Going to smoke with cherry for 12 at 200-225 or how ever long it takes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.1 KB, 383 views)

Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice hunk of meat, you sure are going fancy with that marinade. Best of luck, I am gonna bet longer than 12 hours at those temps.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Dockman
Got Wood.

Yes it may take longer but I have plenty of time. Also plan to wrap at 165 IT.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
NickyG
On the road to being a farker

Where did you get it from?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockman View Post
Time to try a brisket on the MES 40! Going to marinade it for 24-36 hours with coke, bbq sauce, and make some A1 or woshershire. Then for rub I plan to use salt, pepper, and steak rub! Going to smoke with cherry for 12 at 200-225 or how ever long it takes.
Please try your plan on a select cut.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Bludawg

I wish you luck

Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Woody1911a1
Full Fledged Farker

guess you didn't watch the Mythbusters when they marinated a steak in coke over night ?
Woody1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
landarc

Dockman, in case your wondering about the above comments, and since you siggy says still trying, I am gonna step across the line a let you know...

1. There are many of us who are concerned that people learning how to do brisket cooks successfully add to much to the process too soon, complicating the process and making success much harder to gain.

2. You are adding a lot of sugar to the surface of the meat with a soda pop marinade, this is going to cause over-darkening, if not downright burning of the meat. Often with a brisket, you will end up with a very hard bark as a result of too much sugar added.

3. Beyond just the time, cooking below 225F often leads to drying of the surface of the meat and to a hard and dry surface to the meat. Even though you can still end up with meat that is tender, it is often dry to the mouth. Some of us feel that going hotter aids in learning a successful cook.

4. Now why then, do we hear of other cooks saying such low temps and long cooks, there are two reasons, one if that they are cooking a lot of meat in big cookers, that just have a different way of cooking. Others are using a type of cooker, be it a water smoker or gas cooker, that has a moist air characteristic.

Still, it's your meat and I wish you luck with your cook. Your plan could work just fine. Be patient and make sure you get it cooked until tender to a probe.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Woody1911a1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1911a1 View Post
guess you didn't watch the Mythbusters when they marinated a steak in coke over night ?
the coke turned the rib-eye to a dark mush .
Woody1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
Dockman
Got Wood.

Thank you for clearing up all the comments. Would love to try a easy marinate so any suggestions would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Dockman, in case your wondering about the above comments, and since you siggy says still trying, I am gonna step across the line a let you know...

1. There are many of us who are concerned that people learning how to do brisket cooks successfully add to much to the process too soon, complicating the process and making success much harder to gain.

2. You are adding a lot of sugar to the surface of the meat with a soda pop marinade, this is going to cause over-darkening, if not downright burning of the meat. Often with a brisket, you will end up with a very hard bark as a result of too much sugar added.

3. Beyond just the time, cooking below 225F often leads to drying of the surface of the meat and to a hard and dry surface to the meat. Even though you can still end up with meat that is tender, it is often dry to the mouth. Some of us feel that going hotter aids in learning a successful cook.

4. Now why then, do we hear of other cooks saying such low temps and long cooks, there are two reasons, one if that they are cooking a lot of meat in big cookers, that just have a different way of cooking. Others are using a type of cooker, be it a water smoker or gas cooker, that has a moist air characteristic.

Still, it's your meat and I wish you luck with your cook. Your plan could work just fine. Be patient and make sure you get it cooked until tender to a probe.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockman View Post
Thank you for clearing up all the comments. Would love to try a easy marinate so any suggestions would be great.
That prime hunk of beef doesn't need a marinade. Season it and toss it on.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Bludawg

Marinate it in Oak Smoke at 300 until probe tender.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

You need a State Dept job

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
That prime hunk of beef doesn't need a marinade. Season it and toss it on.
Yeppers! just go simple with either a favorite rub, or simpler yet, salt, pepper, granulated onion and granulated garlic.

In any case, enjoy!

KC

Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
You need a State Dept job
I nominate Landarc for Secretary of 'Splaining Things.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->