New guy from Wyoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willis

Well, I bought my Bandera in early January at Home Depot and have been spending my winter getting things lined up to use it hard in the Spring. Have completed most of the mods and have purchased a remote temperature setup from Dave at Nu-Temp.

Have the Baffle Mod done, have firebrick lining the floor of both the firebox and the smoke chamber, have the aluminum channel/gasket mod done . . . am waiting for a friend to finish up the firegrate for me. Am planning to run with these mods first and see how things turn out. Might consider other mods later on.

Have an electric Smokin' Tex that I don't really use anymore . . . not real happy with the results. Am hoping for a much better finished product with my new setup. Am looking for a reasonable source for wood nearby and haven't been successful yet.

Want to try a brisket first. Haven't made a decent one yet. Lookin' forward to trying what you all have been talking about here and finally hittin' one out of the park! Thanks to Bill for sending me some of the So Flav to try.

It's snowing here now . . .we're supposed to get between 10" to 14" by Sunday (we need it, been dry). Hopefully we'll get some Spring in March and maybe I can fire this thing up.

Willis, welcome and don't let the weather scare ya off, I might not try it today(snow and all) but here's hopin ya get a good day soon. I'm prettty new myself but let me tell you I've never met a more friendly, helpful group of guys anywhere the Brethren are the greatest. Best of luck with the snow. scott

Welcome bud (willis). Like scott Scott said, don't let waether be a hinderance. I've been smokeing almost every weekend since fall.

Welcome to the group. Like the Brothers before me said, don't let the weather hold you back. It makes it a little more challenging, but still can make damn good Que even in the winter. I hope that you have many successful Q's in your future.

Slat

Welcome Willis.

Good to see you put words and story to the ID

Will have the So Flav mailed to you in a day or two. Left work early to marinade a brisket.

Welcome to the fold! What kind of trees do yall have up (and over) there that you could use as a wood source?

Welcome Willis. Guess it kinda sucks for suitable smoking woods for you guys in CO, WY, the Dakotas, etc.

The following link will help you find out what kind of trees grow where. We're working on a guide for wood scrounging but it aint ready yet
http://www.arborday.org/trees/browsetrees.cfm

Welcome aboard! Glad you joined. Bill will have you sucking Jap Nutz in no time! LOL

Looks like you're on the right track with your mods. Heat shield mod in Wyoming I would think would be a must.

Hey Willis,

Welcome. What part of Wyo you from? I grew up in and around Cheyenne.

Welcome aboard! I am in the same situation as you are: I live in SD and its darn hard to find wood. I use mostly Ash for my heat source and add a few chunks of some other wood for flavor. In the spring I drive around town to see who is pruning trees and if its apple, pear, cherry,etc. I ask if I can have the trimmings and large branches. Most people will let me if I offer to clean up all the branches on the ground. Otherwise I have to buy bags of wood chunks at Menards or on the internet.

I also have a cookshack smokette II that I bought about 2 years ago. I don't like the flavor of the food that comes out of it either. I still use it for salmon, shrimp, ham, and as a warm holding oven, but thats about it.

Willis,
Welcome to the insane BBQ society. These guys joke around a lot but really do know their Q. I would reccomend trying a pork butt first, or maybe some pork ribs. They are hard to ruin and taste great (less filling). Then do a brisket later when you are more experienced cooking with the beast. What ever you do, let us know how it turned out.

Hey Bigdog. What do you use for wood there in central Kansas? My boss is from west central Kansas.

He says the last tree in central Kansas died in the mid '80's - mid 1880's.

;-)

Real funny racer! Actually you are not far off. The most previlant trees around here are the famous Osage Orange or Hedge tree and the Cottonwood...neither of which I have tried for smoking. But we do have a lot of ash, hackberry, pecan and other various fruit trees. Plus we import a lot of mesquite and hickory.

The most previlant trees around here are the famous Osage Orange or Hedge tree and the Cottonwood...neither of which I have tried for smoking

The cottonwood is okay if you like the taste. But DO NOT SMOKE WITH OSAGE ORANGE

Do not smoke with cottonwood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nasty crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was only refering to the fact that Osage Orange is Toxic. Cottonwood tastes like crap if green, and it doesn't cure quickly. When cured it is very mild.

ckkphoto said:
Do not smoke with cottonwood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nasty crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was only refering to the fact that Osage Orange is Toxic. Cottonwood tastes like crap if green, and it doesn't cure quickly. When cured it is very mild.

I wouldn't think of smoking with either of those two woods. Hedge is great in a wood burning stove, but I have not heard of anybody who burns the cottonwood for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back