Brisket Cuts?

smokjunkee

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Being in the foodservice industry, I thought that I would be able
to easily obtain a whole brisket. Unfortunately I only seemed to be able
to get a #120, a whole brisket with deckel removed,(about 10-12lb.)
Is this a normal cut or am I shopping the wrong places? What is the cut number for a wholebrisket with deckel? I am in the Mid-Atlantic area. Thanks for any help.
MB

Where are you sourcing this from? A meat wholesaler or a food service supplier (eg. Sysco).

Well, a NAMP 120 is the standard whole brisket.... although the weight may go as high as 20 pounds. The deckle is actually just a bunch of hard fat and some cartilage along the inside face of the brisket, and so by saying "deckle off" it just saves you from trimming it yourself. The fat cap is the outside face of a brisket, and it is often heavy enough for you to do some trimming there.... A lot of folks refer to the point (which is the forward end) of a brisket as the deckle, but that is incorrect.

Other than asking a custom butcher to alter the cut, the only way you can get a larget cut of beef to start off with, would be asking for a 102, "Beef Forequarter", but you would wind up with a lot more than a brisket...

Thanks ThirdEye, that makes sense. I was under the assumption that the
point & deckel were one in the same. Thank you for clearing this up for me.
MB

Brisketdeckle1.jpg

BrisketPointdeckle1.jpg

A lot of the deckle is on the point end, that might be how the terms got mixed up. I know these photo's are pretty small but you can see the rib and breast bone attachment. The stuff between them and left over when they are removed is the deckle. Both of these are left side briskets.​

Back