MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #676
jrben1
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj-ia View Post
Have any of you gone from a gravity feed pit to the LSG vertical? How does the Q compare compare? How do these compare in build quality and Q in comparison to the other vertical insulated standard and reverse flow cabinets out there?
I have a Backwoods Smoker Fat Boy and a LSG insulated smoker. The LSG is better built with thicker (11 Gauge) steel.

I have no experience with gravity fed smokers.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #677
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG FAN View Post
Hopefully this hasn't already been discussed but are these smokers a reverse flow design?
Backwoods Smokers had the original patent on reverse flow, but I think it has expired. The Pitmaker Vault and Safe are also reverse flow.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #678
Smokey Lonesome
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

.....and Humphrey's are reverse flow as well.

The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well. - John D. Rockefeller
Smokey Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #679
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp steve View Post
Got my mini ordered yesterday its going to be a long 8 weeks
Congrats! The wait was a killer for me.

If you are going to get a cover for it, they have long lead times as well.

Post pics when you get it, you may be the first to order one...
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #680
HOG FAN
is one Smokin' Farker

Wish I had the sack to pull the trigger on a quality vertical cabinet. I just can't decide on which one because the Benjamins involved.
HOG FAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #681
gp steve
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
Congrats! The wait was a killer for me.

If you are going to get a cover for it, they have long lead times as well.

Post pics when you get it, you may be the first to order one...
I think I have watched the video from there website 1000 times already my comp season starts in March and I think the mini will be what I have been missing
gp steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #682
gaubry
Got rid of the matchlight.

Having read all 46 pages a number of times I want to thank everyone for the input. I ordered my LSG vertical in Nov. and it was mainly based on the Brethren's forum. A special thanks to Mike and Cathy who took the time to answer some of my silly questions.
The ordering process was incredible with both Chris and Amber spending tons of time with me on the phone.
So now the learning curve begins and hopefully it will be made much easier by your posts.
Thank you everyone.....
gaubry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #683
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

You will love your new cooker. Welcome to the family

Old 12-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #684
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaubry View Post
Having read all 46 pages a number of times I want to thank everyone for the input. I ordered my LSG vertical in Nov. and it was mainly based on the Brethren's forum. A special thanks to Mike and Cathy who took the time to answer some of my silly questions.
The ordering process was incredible with both Chris and Amber spending tons of time with me on the phone.
So now the learning curve begins and hopefully it will be made much easier by your posts.
Thank you everyone.....
Congrats...you will love the smoker. If you need pointers don't hesitate to ask here.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #685
dj-ia
Got Wood.

Pulled the trigger on a mini today. I look forward to cooking, learning, and sharing with everyone here in 8-9 long weeks.
dj-ia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #686
ggee6688

I can't wait to see the mini in real life. Thanks for the picture of the diverters whomever sent it. One piece, nice. Any noticeable differences in how it works with the diverters?
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #687
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj-ia View Post
Pulled the trigger on a mini today. I look forward to cooking, learning, and sharing with everyone here in 8-9 long weeks.
We cant wait to see what you do either...Congrats!

Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #688
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Do any of your haul your cabinets around? How do you do it?

I saw the one trailer-mounted on Facebook, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I don't have anywhere to keep an enclosed trailer, but it would be nice to get a cabinet out of the back yard.

I keep hemming and hawing, going back and forth between a LSG insulated cabinet and a trailer offset. The cabinet would be better by far for home cooking, but I'd like to get into cooking parties, charity events, and maybe comps, so I just can't decide what would better suit my needs. I have experience with charcoal and stick burners and like them both, so that's not a deciding factor for me.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #689
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
Do any of your haul your cabinets around? How do you do it?

I saw the one trailer-mounted on Facebook, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I don't have anywhere to keep an enclosed trailer, but it would be nice to get a cabinet out of the back yard.

I keep hemming and hawing, going back and forth between a LSG insulated cabinet and a trailer offset. The cabinet would be better by far for home cooking, but I'd like to get into cooking parties, charity events, and maybe comps, so I just can't decide what would better suit my needs. I have experience with charcoal and stick burners and like them both, so that's not a deciding factor for me.
I think you would need some bigger tires not casters to even attempt to roll it around the yard. Casters are only for smooth surfaces. Mine weighs half of the LSG and there is no way I could get it thru my yard. I know some use plywood or boards and roll it thru the yard.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #690
bluzieq
Full Fledged Farker

I was going to mount mine( when it gets here) on a trailer but looking ay myron mixon smokers I'm going to have a set up like that but use pneumatic tires. Then roll it on a trailer when I need to haul it.