Keeping meat fresh

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been burned with bad pork and ribs a few times, but fortunately I've been able to scrap together new meat in time to still compete. The logical thing to do is open the cryovac of pork the day before I leave (I often trim on-site) and if it looks and smells good, reseal. Does doing that compromise the freshness of the meat?

Assuming you have two equally fresh cuts of meat, would you expect one of these to be drastically different at cooking time? Both purchased on Wednesday and cooked Friday.

- Pork opened on Wednesday, trimmed, vac sealed....Friday cooked
- Pork opened on Friday, trimmed, cooked.

I tend to over think things, but I'm concerned about having some bad meat at the Jack. I may just end up buying two packs and keep one as a backup.

if the butcher will let you see if you can dig thriugh the cryovacs and get the lasest sell by date that looks good enough to be competition meat

I trim at home on Wednesday evening for that reason. I had bad ribs once last year and had time to go get more.

As long as the meat is kept cold I don't think you would noticed a difference between meat trimmed on Wednesday vs. Friday.

I buy the big three on tuesday, packed tightly in a cooler filled to the top in ice. Kept cool at 32f. seems to hold a lot better for me than a fluctuating temp. refrigerator. (Yeti cooler too.)

The big three do not concern me as much, the fresher the better. Chicken on the other hand worries me more. Pick up Tuesday, trim and vac pack. Lots of ice!!

I know that I'm the unorthodox one...

I've had all of my meat ready to go for the last 4 weeks... Sitting in my deep freezer at -20*. Heck, my chicken was trimmed and cryo-sucked almost 3 months ago.

The meat well come out of the freezer tonight and go to the bottom of the fridge. Thursday night it moves into our meat cooler and is covered with ice. Friday it moves into our cambros and then gets seasoned.

You're right. Dont over think things. K.I.S.S.

Are you boys coming to Libertyville?

I buy the big three on tuesday, packed tightly in a cooler filled to the top in ice. Kept cool at 32f. seems to hold a lot better for me than a fluctuating temp. refrigerator. (Yeti cooler too.)

Thanks, keeping the meat in a cooler makes a lot of sense and I never really considered it.

You're right. Dont over think things. K.I.S.S.

Are you boys coming to Libertyville?

Yes, we will be at Libertyville. Not sure what time we're getting there as I have to work on Friday.

We were burned by both pork and ribs this year, and now we buy two packages "just in case"...we buy on Wednesday (Thursday if we're local) and keep on ice until trimming time.

How many of you keep your chicken frozen and thaw out a day or so before the comp. I am doing my first competition this week and my chicken is frozen. Would I be better off getting fresh chicken on Friday night?

I've bought in bulk and had a trimming party (by myself :( ) and vacusucked and frozen chicken before. Chicken thaws fast. I put it in the cooler on Friday morning and it was thawed by Friday evening.

I've had it happen more than once. This isn't the initial story but it does discuss the news that came out a little while back. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the cause of some of these unexpected meats-gone-bad.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/29270634/detail.html

This is the reason I always check the meat as soon as I get it home. A few years ago I was catering an even and had purchased two cases of butts from a local Sam's. Placed them in the fridge overnight and pulled them out the next morn. Opened them and that is when the gagging started. Every pack in both cases was bad. I have never been so mad/sick in my life.
I called Sam's and they requested I bring them back. I took them back and they not only replaced the butts, but they also gave me my money back. That is what I call customer service. :-D The meat guy told me they had several issues with truck drivers getting to there late nights and just turning their truck off and sleeping. This was in July.

Yes, we will be at Libertyville. Not sure what time we're getting there as I have to work on Friday.

Then make sure you stop by and say hi!

How many of you keep your chicken frozen and thaw out a day or so before the comp. I am doing my first competition this week and my chicken is frozen. Would I be better off getting fresh chicken on Friday night?

My chicken is the only thing that I don't thaw. It comes out of the freezer on Thursday night and is put in last into the cooler. By the time we get every thing set up it goes into a chilled cambro to thaw and is ready by mid afternoon for seasoning.

I've bought in bulk and had a trimming party (by myself :( ) and vacusucked and frozen chicken before.

I do this over the winter so it's not a pressing issue during the season.:thumb:

it caught me this past weekend, 9 lb stinky butt well within the sell by date.
Glad i trimmed on Thursday We had time to get a replacement.

I am interested in the frozen chicken though.. I have some trimmed frozen ready to go, just never tried it in a comp.

Back