KCBS and Garnish

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I’m hearing some rumors that garnish is going to be eliminated. Anyone else heard anything?

Don't see it happening, KCBS is pretty set on garnish separating itself from all the other BBQ organizations.
Anyway, as long as the garnish is legal it plays no part in the appearance score.
Ed

Haven't heard anything, but maybe it's a consideration for the single meat rib pilot program? If so, there just happens to be a special Board meeting coming up shortly ...

Don't see it happening, KCBS is pretty set on garnish separating itself from all the other BBQ organizations.
Anyway, as long as the garnish is legal it plays no part in the appearance score.
Ed

It's not supposed to play a role in the appearance score, but I think it does depending on the judge.

Quick story: I took Tuffy Stone's competition class a few years ago, and one of the other students was a KCBS Master Judge. So when discussing some of the things Tuffy would ask this gentlemen how the judges perceived it, and how they would score, and things of that nature. When talking about garnish the guy went into a long rant about "wanting to see that the pitmasters put some time into it." He said that if the garnish wasn't aligned properly or if it was sticking up in one place that would usually end up with a small deduction. He also said that if cooks did something like putting a flat piece of lettuce on the bottom that would also receive a deduction.

Mind you this guy was a Master Judge and this is what he's saying about his judging process...even though it clearly goes against the KCBS guidelines. Again, this is a single case and it's all hearsay as I'm just repeating what someone else said, but I figured it's worthy of discussion.

Personally I'd love to get rid of garnish as I hate paying the extra $10-15 just so I can stuff greens in a box. I know people are used to it and make use of it for keeping the meat in place in the box, but all the other organizations don't require it and people have figured out how to make it work without garnish. For me it just seems like an extra step that isn't necessary...and with the possibility of it actually being judged (at least in some capacity) it kind of really deals a blow to the newer teams who are trying to figure this stuff out.

It's not supposed to play a role in the appearance score, but I think it does depending on the judge.

Quick story: I took Tuffy Stone's competition class a few years ago, and one of the other students was a KCBS Master Judge. So when discussing some of the things Tuffy would ask this gentlemen how the judges perceived it, and how they would score, and things of that nature. When talking about garnish the guy went into a long rant about "wanting to see that the pitmasters put some time into it." He said that if the garnish wasn't aligned properly or if it was sticking up in one place that would usually end up with a small deduction. He also said that if cooks did something like putting a flat piece of lettuce on the bottom that would also receive a deduction.

Mind you this guy was a Master Judge and this is what he's saying about his judging process...even though it clearly goes against the KCBS guidelines. Again, this is a single case and it's all hearsay as I'm just repeating what someone else said, but I figured it's worthy of discussion.

Personally I'd love to get rid of garnish as I hate paying the extra $10-15 just so I can stuff greens in a box. I know people are used to it and make use of it for keeping the meat in place in the box, but all the other organizations don't require it and people have figured out how to make it work without garnish. For me it just seems like an extra step that isn't necessary...and with the possibility of it actually being judged (at least in some capacity) it kind of really deals a blow to the newer teams who are trying to figure this stuff out.

great points !

The only thing I like about the garnish is that it seems to present the meat better, in my opinion. The green just provides more of a contrast and provides a base that lets the meat "stand out" more than just putting it in the bottom of the clam shell.

Of course it effects scoring. Anyone who says that it doesn't is lying to you and themselves. If it didn't matter, no one would do it.

If the garnish makes the meat look better, then the garnish matters. Period. I hate that it's optional, because it's really not. Either say it's mandatory or get rid of it, imo.

As a judge, do I judge garnish... ? I sure do !!!

If used and if there is something wrong with it, I will score you down, way down !!!

And it takes a Rep's approval / direction ;)

Last edited:

The PNWBA is the same as KCBS, and it is not REQURIED by either sanctioning body. By all means, go ahead and just put meat in the box.

Of course it effects scoring. Anyone who says that it doesn't is lying to you and themselves. If it didn't matter, no one would do it.

If the garnish makes the meat look better, then the garnish matters. Period. I hate that it's optional, because it's really not. Either say it's mandatory or get rid of it, imo.

I personally don't like being called a liar! I can guarantee you 100% that garnish is never used in my scoring of your entry. It is absolutely possible to ignore it. That's the rule and I follow the rules.
From 2020 rules
12)
Garnish is optional, if used, once determined to be legal, garnish plays no further role in the appearance score.

Ed

As a judge, do I judge garnish... ? I sure do !!!

If used and if there is something wrong with it, I will score you down, way down !!!

And it takes a Rep's approval / direction ;)

One can only hope you are being super sarcastic, no judge would disregard a rule completely in such a fashion (without being sent packing from the tent).
Ed

I would be interested in getting comparisons between the FBA (no garnish) and KCBS on this subject. My knowledge is limited to what I have seen on TV but it looks like they have to cook a lot more food to fill the box. Is this true or is it just blown out of proportion on TV so they have something to talk about?

My reason for asking is that I would definitely prefer to use garnish than have to cook more meat to "fill the box" as shown on TV but my opinion might changes if I find out this would not be necessary. I tend to travel light to the contests and would rather not waste time, money, and cooking space (I would have to add cookers to do more meat). I already feel bad that so much food gets wasted and I cook just about the minimum I can to do a KCBS contest.

Last edited:
One can only hope you are being super sarcastic, no judge would disregard a rule completely in such a fashion (without being sent packing from the tent).
Ed

Bob is being some what sarcastic in his response but what he is saying is exactly the rule. The only judgement he makes is if it is legal or not and if he feels it is not legal he calls over the rep and, if the rep agrees, it is giving the ultimate score reduction to a DQ.

Back