MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

Default Comps on little budget

A few questions for you seasoned pros. I would like to try getting into some local comps with my kids as team members. I do not have the extra cash for a fancy trailer or a tow behind offset. I do have a medium BGE and a UDS and I can build another UDS or two no problem. I have a pickup to haul everything.

Is it worth doing this without a more professional cooker set up? I am happy with my results and I'm looking to have fun and learn along the way. I was thinking about the Hudson Valley Ribfest as is not far and it gives me plenty of time to practice and get stuff together.

I have seen BBQ comp shows where there are BGE's and or drum smokers involved but I'm not sure how well it works out compaired to Lang, Backwoods, FEC100's, Spicewine etc. Even on the cheap it is still a significant investment but it does sound like tons of hard work and fun at the same time.

Any input would be helpfull. Thanks.

Brian

Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
QueTPiesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

while having a trailer makes it nice to get in out of the cold, I have seen several teams compete out of the back of a pickup truck and do really well. I personally think that it isn't the cooker, but the cook. If you like bbq you can learn a lot by doing a competition.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Go for it man. We started with a little Brinkman offset and won our first contest using it. I believe a team won the Royal cooking on UDS's a couple of years ago.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

I agree. You don't need to have the top of the line stuff to produce great BBQ. It's nice to have, but as long as the judges like your product they don't care if it was done in a trailer or not. Most of them will probably never know.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

What you have is a great place to start, give it a whirl, if you like it and decide to stay in, you may decide to upgrade, but then again, you might not. Most of all, I think it would be a great way to spend some time with the kids! Good luck.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We've always done it with backyard equipment -- WSMs. We're old and like comfort, so we travel heavy on shade and tables -- but we're still paring down yet. If this year is anything like last, far and away our biggest expense will be gas.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

You have more than enough to start. I did my first few with a chargriller and had a great time. If you can try to go to a few competitions first and see what you think you need. Having a shelter is a good thing. You can get a list of what you need on the KCBS site. There are postings here that have lists of thinks to help to pack up for a Comp. Good luck and have fun
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Absolutely! Cooked from a pickup for years and have seen tons of winners hauling bullets in cars

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

You'd be crazy not to give it a try.
Been there, done that

BTW, I enjoy a nice Opus X myself...
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the feedback folks. Any advice on the popup tents? Are the basic ones at BJ/Costco ok or is that throwing money away? I think I'll give it a try. Again thanks.

Diva, I checked out your web site. You are not "old" but you guys look like you are having a great time together.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Try it, it should be an enjoyable experience. Eggs are top notch units, even though they use that kuncle-dragging charcol, and a UDS, say no more. Dont get caught up in the equipment, if you enjoy it and want to pursue it, you will get things you need over time, if you dont you arent out to much!

You will do well Pilgram!

Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbque View Post
Thanks for the feedback folks. Any advice on the popup tents? Are the basic ones at BJ/Costco ok or is that throwing money away? I think I'll give it a try. Again thanks.

Diva, I checked out your web site. You are not "old" but you guys look like you are having a great time together.
I found out in HeSmellsLikeSmoke's thread that I'm old enough to be mama to a lot of you young farkers.

We're still using the Caravan 10x10 popups that we got at some warehouse store. The popups themselves are faring much better than the bags they came in!

And yes, it's been a blast -- which is why we're still at it this year.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
smoke showin'
On the road to being a farker

it 's not what kind of grill you pull but the kind of groceries you pull off it !!! Besides if you have fun that's all that matters .
smoke showin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbque View Post
Costco carries the Caravan canopies for around $195, with four side walls. Not throwing your money away and can also be used at home for backyard events. You can get cheaper ones at Wal Mart, those won't hold up nearly as well in wind and rain - there you might be throwing money away.

Glad to see you decided to jump in and have fun. You have more than enough equipemnt. Like lots of folks here said, it's the product you produce and we've seen folks with CharGrills, UDS', WSM taking home lots of hardware and $$. There are a number of teams that use Eggs exclusively and do very well, consistently. The key is to have fun.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
BlueHwyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I think your cooking equipment is fine.

I'm in the same situation as you and my biggest concern this year is what to do if it is windy or raining. Where do you go to prep your turn-in boxes? If it is too windy you may have to take down the 10x10 canopy. Front seat of the truck or back seat of the van would be a little tight.
BlueHwyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote