New Rib King

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The crown has been passed and we have a new rib king at Hess Lake Farms, 12 yr. old Garret Effa! We usually have an adult and kids division but all the kids wanted to compete against their parents and with me being the host and judge I said why not. After tasting 21 entries with 3 other judges we had 5 entries that stood out and one clear winner. It was a blind judging and everyone was shocked espescially Garret when it was found he was the winner. Then we had another 12 year old, Nick Adams, tied for 2nd. place! The brisket, butts, and fatties I served as appetizers were a big hit but next year we are going to hold it in October when the temps will be below 100*! At one point Saturday it was 104* in the shade!!

So, the "next" generation has been heard from! Great. :D

How cool, the kids must be lurking here!!

BTW-Neil, glad to see the avatar is still here!!

I see nothing wrong with letting the kids compete with the adults. Too many times when you have kids competing, the adults are involved anyway, sometimes to an extreme extent.

That's great. Good to see the kids stepping up and showing the adults how it's done! :D

That's too cool! I'm sure some of the adults don't feel that way, however!

Neil hang in there. Sure it hurts that you lost the crown and it'll be a year before you can try and get it back, and that some twelve year old kicked your butt and now you question your ability to Q, and you sat in 104 degree temp. and........OH never mind. Way to go Garrett!

Congrats to the new rib king. Bro don't sweat it (even in 104 degree heat) the crown will come back to its rightful spot next year when you will be allowed to compete. I geuss the kid had to cgrab a cold one from the soda cooler?

Back