• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thanks dads r4

mrpigs

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Saw in a number of your posts that you use Cavenders Greek seasoning on chicken.

I finally remembered to look for it when we were at the grocery store last Saturday and dang if Meijer didn't have it.

The kids and grandkids wanted deep fried wings Saturday night and I coated the wings with it after I rinsed and dried them and hit them again right after they came out of the fryer.

Everyone loved them.

I was smoking a chuck on my over and under at the same time to use for beef vegetable soup on Sunday, used the Cavenders as a base rub and put Heath Riles beef rub layered on top and it also turned out awesome.

Today I smoked two turkey leg and thigh quarters loosely following Malcolm Reed's recipe. Instead of using his AP rub in the brine, I used the Cavenders.

I then rubbed one quarter with Cavenders only, the other with a base layer of Cavenders and then a layer of The Barbecue Rub.

This turkey was supposed to be for my wife's lunches this week, the Cavenders only quarter was done about 15 minutes before before the bbq one and by the time I finished the bbq quarter the Cavenders one was gone.

Gone.

We really like the flavor and the fine grind makes it stick good and easy to layer.

We're going to be using it a lot and can't thank you enough.

Awesome to hear! Haven’t used Cavenders in a while... but I agree, it’s fantastic! Gonna buy some this week ALL because of this thread [emoji4]

Can't take a lot of credit for something someone else came up with, but I'm glad you like it.
If you like to play with making your own rubs, this is a recipe I use. Add more of the herbs you like, less of what you don't, and control the salt if you desire.

Greek Seasoning Blend

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon basil
1 tsp sage
1 tsp oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in blender, grind to a fine powder, and store in an airtight container.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
It's something that I probably wouldn't have ever tried if I didn't hear about it on here.

If you like things spicier, I've done a sprinkle of chipotle pepper over it.

Cavender's was always around the house when I was growing up and I never gave it (or anything for that matter...) much thought. I saw dads post about it and thought "oh yeah, that stuff" and got some recently. Been putting it on eggs and loving it, veggies as well and will most likely be hitting some kinda bird with it this weekend. Thanks for bringing up that stuff, dads!

Well dads r4, You just made me spend more money on spices. My local Krogers has it in stock so I put it on the list for the wife to pick up when she shops this weekend. Looking forward to trying it out.
Thanks for posting.

Well dads r4, You just made me spend more money on spices. My local Krogers has it in stock so I put it on the list for the wife to pick up when she shops this weekend. Looking forward to trying it out.
Thanks for posting.
1/2 lbs for around 3-4 bucks, I think you can swing it.:-D Or you could go for the bargain size.
shopping

When smoking my Thanksgiving turkey, I coat the turkey heavy with Cavenders and then follow with Hellmans mayo. After the mayo I cover with the breast and legs with bacon. I've been doing this for years and it never disappoints

Back