MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #12361
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Photobucket - easy with mobile app.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #12362
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsman View Post
Can you tell us who this local guy is?
There are several guys on CL selling drums - 1-2 on Ft Worth side. Most Feed/Ag stores have them - that's where mine came from.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/grd/4866493996.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/for/4856237865.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/4851514479.html
I got my well seasoned 3 rack flat top UDS up for sale.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #12363
nathan
Found some matches.

Newbie here. Ordered my drum a few days ago and have my basket already made. Excited to get the drum in the garage and drill some holes. Thanks to all for the great tips and ideas.
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #12364
BaronVonOttomatic
On the road to being a farker

Alrighty then, here's a picture of the firebox. Air inlet up top and three holes opposite. This is before I welded in the tabs across from the inlet to support the grate.

Picture before paint:

Painted and seasoning:

BaronVonOttomatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2015, 04:40 AM   #12365
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I believe your going to find your coal basket does not have good quality air flow and might be blocking some of the intake air from getting to the coals. But that is just my experience.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #12366
BaronVonOttomatic

Affirmative, once I removed the Guru the charcoal left in the basket went out. With the Guru it stays rock steady at 250° the charcoal runs out and there's nothing but ash. I designed it to use with a Guru so mission accomplished there.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #12367
nathan
Found some matches.

Sorry if this question has already been addressed, and with 820+ pages I am sure it has, but with a reconditioned drum do I still need to remove the paint on the exterior of the drum? Is this paint typically "high heat" or do I need to burn that paint off and reapply the correct type of paint? Thank you for any light you can shine my way.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #12368
TXLX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
Sorry if this question has already been addressed, and with 820+ pages I am sure it has, but with a reconditioned drum do I still need to remove the paint on the exterior of the drum? Is this paint typically "high heat" or do I need to burn that paint off and reapply the correct type of paint? Thank you for any light you can shine my way.
You don't have to burn the paint off the exterior. I have a standard 55 gallon, new 16 gauge drum and had it over 400° with no damage to paint. If you are going to reaping it, of course go with a high heat BBQ paint, engine paint, or high temp powder coat (some powder coaters won't guarantee standard powder coat with high temp applications).
TXLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2015, 07:44 AM   #12369
nathan
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLX View Post
You don't have to burn the paint off the exterior. I have a standard 55 gallon, new 16 gauge drum and had it over 400° with no damage to paint. If you are going to reaping it, of course go with a high heat BBQ paint, engine paint, or high temp powder coat (some powder coaters won't guarantee standard powder coat with high temp applications).
Thank you for the help! Looking forward to the assemble today.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #12370
nathan
Found some matches.

20150131_170516_resized(1).jpg
Finished my 1st. build today. Excited to get this thing smoking.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #12371
BaronVonOttomatic

After burning for 12 hours at 250° (~50° ambient temperature) there's probably about another hour worth of charcoal left in the firebox.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #12372
paquette11b
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

on my first UDS smoke and noticing that there is a lot of leaking smoke around the entire circumference of the flat lid. I have all 3 intakes open and am having a difficult time after 3 hours pushing higher than 225 degrees. Is this due to the leak? and what can i do to fix it? I was thinking a gasket but it almost looks like the lid is slightly too small for this drum because it almost just sits on top without locking into the rim. thanks for the help
paquette11b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #12373
TXLX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquette11b View Post
on my first UDS smoke and noticing that there is a lot of leaking smoke around the entire circumference of the flat lid. I have all 3 intakes open and am having a difficult time after 3 hours pushing higher than 225 degrees. Is this due to the leak? and what can i do to fix it? I was thinking a gasket but it almost looks like the lid is slightly too small for this drum because it almost just sits on top without locking into the rim. thanks for the help
How big are the intakes and how big is the exhaust? Do you have some pictures of the lid & barrel? If possible, you could carefully bend out the rim of the lid and use a rope gasket in the groove. The lid on my drum fits pretty tight, minimal smoke escapes.

If the lid can't be fit better and too much heat is escaping around the lid, you could make your existing exhaust smaller or close it completely and create a new exhaust with smaller adjustments. I found my drum wouldn't run hot enough with three 3/4" intakes, so I made two of them 1" (or 1.25") and kept the 3/4" ball valve. I can hit 400° with all intakes open and standard 2" bung exhaust.
TXLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #12374
Wahoo95

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquette11b View Post
Did you remove the little gasket material from the lip of the lid? I had similar issues on my first drum till I pulled that stuff out which allowed the lid to fit down snugly into the top of the drum
Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #12375
paquette11b
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I removed the gasket and it's just metal now. three 1inch intakes ( 2 with 3/4in pipe, 1 with 3/4 ball valve) and 8 3/4inch exhaust holes. the larger intakes are a great idea. The lid almost seems like it came from a different barrel and won't even come close to fitting. Maybe a rope gasket will help. Thanks guys...tried to upload pics but the phone isn't cooperating
paquette11b is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker