Calling all southern Cali brethern!

razrbakcrzy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am going to be in the Oceanside area for Thanksgiving week Nov. 18th - the 26th, My eldest son is stationed there on Camp Pendelton. I need a source for spices for my rubs and a place to buy good meat at a reasonable price. I am cooking the thanksgiving day meal and I will also cook several other times while im there. Any help will be appreciated... :thumb:

I can always go to walmart but I really like to shop in specialty stores and patronize other BBQ nuts places of business when I can...:clap2:.

I can get a day pass at RD with my KCBS membership.

If you want, I can grab you some stuff and bring it to you, meet you halfway, you can come up to CC, whatever you want. I'll put together a list of spots as well a little later after work.

By all means, PM me anytime. :thumb:

Not exactly close to Oceanside, but if you are coming from the north and heading south on the 5, I really like El Toro Meats in Lake Forest. You could swing by on your way down if you came out the 10/60.

I fly into LAX at 10pm LA time the 18th.. we will have to rent a car and drive down to Oceanside.... So if that put me any closer to you let me know...

I fly into LAX at 10pm LA time the 18th.. we will have to rent a car and drive down to Oceanside.... So if that put me any closer to you let me know...

I live about 15-20 min. from LAX.

LAX is just south of where gtr is located. Also, your route down to Pendleton would probably be 405s to 5s, so you could definitely check out El Toro Meats, but I am sure gtr has a bunch of cool places to check out closer to where he is located.

is this the one your talking about?

5333 West jefferson?

Last edited:
I think it is T and H meats very close by in San Marcos
is where most of the SD county teams get their meats

I think it is T and H meats very close by in San Marcos
is where most of the SD county teams get their meats

I'm down in South Orange County(about 40 minutes from Pendelton) so if you need anything, PM me. Always willing to help a visiting brethren.

I'm going to assume you do not know your way around and where Oceanside is in relation to T&H Meats in San Marcos. The two cities are next to each other. T&H can take care of your needs. They furnish meats to many of the comp. teams in SoCal.
If you prefer Restaurant Depot, there is one close to LAX and another one in Fountain Valley, right off the 405 Fwy (Euclid or Harbor exits) on the way s/b towards Oceanside. You'll need to buy a cooler and ice if you stop at either one.
While in the area, please take a drive down to San Diego and visit Brazen BBQ. It is run by a very successful competiton team.
As for rubs, the Rub Co. can supply you with competiton quality rubs via mail. Brazen also has rubs for sale.

Enjoy you time here and thanks to your son for serving our country,

Benny

I have spent about 2 weeks total in socal the last 2 years. I know how to get around the general area between Pendelton, Oceanside and San Diego but not much more.. We are driving from LAX to oceanside this time i might actually get to see a little more of the area this time. We drove out there from Arkansas last year, saw alot of desert from I-40 to 29 plams to joshua tree to palm springs. From Temecula to Oceanside I saw alot of traffic...!

I really wish I was driving this time so I could bring my Smoker but it's to far for such a short amount of time. Im stuck cooking on a cheap grill and ill have to go indirect instead of using a real smoker.....I might just have to build a UDS while im out in Cali anybody got any ideas where I might get a drum cheap....?

I really appreciate all of your help brethern. it may prove indespensible...

Ill see if i can get to several of the locations ya'll have suggested....

You can borrow my UDS if you want - fyi it only has one 22" grate. I also have a 22" Old Smokey and a MUDS you can borrow.

If you wanna put one together out there just to have you can try Apex Drum. You can tell 'em you want a refurbished drum but not with the rust inhibitor and you will get a bare metal drum for about $45.

I live in Oceanside and i recommend going to tip top meats in Carlsbad. To be honest RD sells a lot of crap meat and i rarely go there these days. We have several costcos in Vista and Carlsbad as well as smart and final to get your spices from.

Let me know if i can help you with anything.

I will second or third T&H meats in San Marcos. Top quality stuff there. There is also a RD in Miramar, plus both a Costco and Sams in the area. You can get a single day pass for all of them.

Best of luck!

Pete

Honestly I think I will need, 1 turkey, 1 pork shoulder, 1 brisket and 2 chickens for meat. What I really need is a place I can get spices like, bulk paprika, bulk cumin, bulk granulated garlic, bulk granulated onion, bulk dried Chipotle, bulk red pepper...etc... turbinado sugar... the basic for my rubs... and not wal-mart...to expensive in the little bottles...

Honestly I think I will need, 1 turkey, 1 pork shoulder, 1 brisket and 2 chickens for meat. What I really need is a place I can get spices like, bulk paprika, bulk cumin, bulk granulated garlic, bulk granulated onion, bulk dried Chipotle, bulk red pepper...etc... turbinado sugar... the basic for my rubs... and not wal-mart...to expensive in the little bottles...

Pretty sure Sam's club carries most of those spices. Plenty of Sam's on the route south from LAX.

My eldest son is stationed there on Camp Pendelton. ...:clap2:.

There you go. Have your son make a UDS at the base hobby shop before you get there. Its the least he can do if Dad is doing all the cookin'!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Back