Weber Jumbo Joe

prodano

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Does anybody else have a Weber Jumbo Joe? All I have to say is wow, very impressive! I have a few other grills including a 22.5" Weber kettle, Weber smokey joe, 18.5" WSM, and a gasser, but decided the Jumbo Joe may be a nice addition and versatile. It is the perfect option when you don't have a lot of people to cook for but would like to have the option to grill indirect. It is also nice that it is portable. Only used it one time so far, but am very pleased!

How is the airflow with the lid on? It's a problem in the smokey joe line. Did they solve this with the jumbo?

Not sure yet. I have had that problem with the smokey joe as well. I'm putting my faith in Webers R&D that they fixed the air flow problem. My cook today was indirect with one charcoal basket full, wings and country style ribs turned out good with no problems so far.

I got one and have only cooked on it a couple tims. Worked great, but I haven't tried any long cooks or anything indirect on it yet - I'll be interested in seeing how that goes.

welllll, as you guys know, they did put the vent back into the bottom of the bowl
so i assume the high heat issue would not be a problem.
so for long runs you might again have to use the can/bowl mod
so that the vents don't plug up with ash. but the oval holes might prevent that issue.
up to you to tell us as you cook further.

I have the Jumbo and have done over a dozen different cooks on the guy. I love it.

Low and slow is no problem on this guy. I strongly suggest shelling out another 18 bucks and getting the hinged grate down at Home Depot. It makes 6 hour cooks much easier.

If you get the hinged grate you can invert the original grate and use it as a second cooking surface. I was able to grill 20 chicken thighs with indirect heat that way.

can/bowl mod ? what is that ?

If I'm not mistaken, that's in reference to when you take a SS dog dish, and drill holes in the sides (I did 4) in order to raise the venting above where ash collects - you put the bowl upside down over the intake vent. People have had problems with ash choking up the bottom vents, so when you use the bowl to raise the level of the vent holes, this mitigates that problem. I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense!

yea, bowl, which i havn't been able to find or a can of some sort that will fit over the vent but just high enough to fit under the coal grate. differant sizes for the jj and the sj of course.

I love mine. Squeezed 7 rib-eyes on it for one cook and enough freshly caught fish fillets to feed six while on vacation.

Just wondering if any other Brethern has bought a JJ in the past 6 months or if any of the above owners have more to say about theirs.

I took ours to the coast on a winter vacation, and it was a workhorse. I used it for freshly caught fish twice, ABTs and rib-eyes. With strategic placement, I managed to cook all seven rib-eyes at one time, and all turned out -- two on early for medium and five on later for medium rarel. It's a great portable grill that's big enough for more than two people.

What are people paying for the JJ? There's one locally (brand new) on Craigslist for $75...what do you think?

Good to know...I'll keep my eyes peeled for it pupping up and up again on Craigslist, then I'll make my move :-D

Back