I can't find the road map to reheating pulled pork.

dapittboss

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Please help, I can't find the thread on re-heating pulled pork. I made 3 butts, pulled and bagged/froze them for this weekend. I wanted to re-read the thread on the ways to re-heat it but I can't seem to locate it. Anybody know where it went? Thanks!!

Thanks Bill, I seem to remember one with all kinds of different methods of re-heating stuff that was a little different, but that one had what I was looking for. I think I will try and just boil it in the bag. I'm trying not to make it taste like re-heated que, but that's probably not possible exactly.

I think your thinking of the famous (or infamous) dishwasher reheating, or is that in the thread I posted.

Let me look again, using chaffing dish as the key term

i dont think i posted in that thread, but try spreading the thawed pork out in a 1 inch layer on a cookie sheet. put that in a 400* oven. you might need to move it around a bit with a spatula to get it heated evenly. i hope this helps.
phil

Boss,
Just "hit it" in the micro wave. This ain't farking brain sturgery. :eek:

In my opinion, the microwave changes the taste of meat that has already been cooked in a bad way, especially pork. Just my experience.

Ag76 said:
In my opinion, the microwave changes the taste of meat that has already been cooked in a bad way, especially pork. Just my experience.
Any idea why???
Just curious.

TIM

dapittboss said:
Thanks Bill, I seem to remember one with all kinds of different methods of re-heating stuff that was a little different, but that one had what I was looking for. I think I will try and just boil it in the bag. I'm trying not to make it taste like re-heated que, but that's probably not possible exactly.

If by 'boil in the bag', you mean a foodsaver bag, then I would suggest that. I have had no problems at all reheatin gpulled pork in a foodsaver bag.

kapndsl said:
Any idea why???
Just curious.

TIM

No idea why. I wish I knew. That is just what has happened to me. Pork I have reheated in the microwave any more than just to warm has tasted completely different than it did coming off of the pit.

I always reheat Q in the oven at 200*. Try to duplicate what got you there in the first place without the smoke.

Ag76 said:
No idea why. I wish I knew. That is just what has happened to me. Pork I have reheated in the microwave any more than just to warm has tasted completely different than it did coming off of the pit.

How about this?
Food is heated when it absorbs energy from the microwave's passing through it.
Fat, sugar, and especially water absorb energy faster than other food substances. Therefore when we zap or "nuke" BBQ pork [which has a lot of fat, and hopefully moisture, plus some sugars] we get pockets of un-even heat. The fat will liquify, the water will vaporize, the sugars will caramalize or burn. If the product is heated in a covered container, we will get steam, and the old-steam-table smell and taste can develop. The taste and texture of the meat will be changed, not for the better.
We can work around most of this, by heating the meat in a microwave at low heat ranges. I have had good results heating pulled pork, and brisket, and ribs, by running the oven at 20 to 30 percent power max, and using short runs of time [a minute or two, depending on quanity of meat], repeating till meat is heated.
I agree with Neil about duplicating what got you there in the first place, and using low heat percentages and short time bursts is a way to try to duplicate low and slow in the microwave.
Not gospel by any means, just my experiance and opinion:smile:

qman said:
How about this?
Food is heated when it absorbs energy from the microwave's passing through it.
Fat, sugar, and especially water absorb energy faster than other food substances. Therefore when we zap or "nuke" BBQ pork [which has a lot of fat, and hopefully moisture, plus some sugars] we get pockets of un-even heat. The fat will liquify, the water will vaporize, the sugars will caramalize or burn. If the product is heated in a covered container, we will get steam, and the old-steam-table smell and taste can develop. The taste and texture of the meat will be changed, not for the better.
We can work around most of this, by heating the meat in a microwave at low heat ranges. I have had good results heating pulled pork, and brisket, and ribs, by running the oven at 20 to 30 percent power max, and using short runs of time [a minute or two, depending on quanity of meat], repeating till meat is heated.
I agree with Neil about duplicating what got you there in the first place, and using low heat percentages and short time bursts is a way to try to duplicate low and slow in the microwave.
Not gospel by any means, just my experiance and opinion:smile:

Deja-Vu - Low and Slow? :tongue:

I ended up heating it in covered roasting pans in the oven at about 200 until hot. Came out great. The microwave seemed like the easiest way, but after reading all the posts, I decided the oven was best. Thanks for the help Bro's, you added to the success of the party!

Ag76 said:
I have never had this happen to me, but I believe you that it did. Bottom line, use what you like and what works for you.

Bigdog said:
I have never had this happen to me, but I believe you that it did. Bottom line, use what you like and what works for you.

Even the OL's arm pit?

Bigdog said:

I agree with AG76 - the only good use of the microwave is making popcorn or bacon.

I have used the microwave on occasion. Found that if it was not sauced yet, it would heat up better. Sometimes the sauce gets a bit scorched.

But I am a big one for using steam in the microwave. I'll put something in there (pulled pork as an example) covered, and in their for 20 seconds. Then I just let it sit in there a minute. Then another 20 seconds. Another minute, then stir it. I let the steam do the heating, not the radiation.

Back