MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default El Hefe 2012

Our own George Mullins is running for the KCBS BOD.

Integrity, thoughtfulness, intelligence, passion and dedication come to mind

Discuss?

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers

Last edited by big brother smoke; 10-11-2011 at 10:32 PM..
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Nothing to discuss. Your right!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
bbqbull
Watching over us.

^^^^ What he said^^^^^^.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Jorge

My wife says you should add "lost his mind". Thank you for the kind words.

If the other candidates that announced hadn't run, I wouldn't have made the decision to give it a try. We have a lot of common views and ideas focused on changing KCBS in a positive way that we believe will benefit ALL members whether they are cooks, judges, reps, or organizers. I'm also looking forward to hearing what all of you think is important. I can't promise that I'll agree, or that I'll be able to make it happen if I do, but I can promise that I'll listen with an open mind and give every issue the thought it's due.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I thought that you were running in the 2012 election .

Oh well, either way I'm sure that you'll do an honest, unbiased job on the BoD.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
I thought that you were running in the 2012 election .

Oh well, either way I'm sure that you'll do an honest, unbiased job on the BoD.
Yea, I was trying to move up my year to retirement ;long day

Thread title has been edited!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

George, I now understand your absence from the forum. You had a "frontal lobotomy" and are just now recovering. How was the stay at Austin State Hospital (ASH), formerly known as the State Lunatic Asylum.

Good Luck and is Scotty on board with you??

"Frontal Lobotomy reduces the emotional tension associated with hallucinations and does away with the catatonic state."
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

If ya get on the board though, ya gotta get rid of that picture with you and that cap-gun you use as an avatar. Thats not politicaly correct.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
If ya get on the board though, ya gotta get rid of that picture with you and that cap-gun you use as an avatar. Thats not politicaly correct.
I wouldn't want to be the one to try and pry it from his hands...

Good Luck my friend!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

El Jefe who?

Funny, when i coined that for Jorge, it was because I was getting invtrouble for something. Spansh translation is boss, chief, leader. A perfect fit. I had some MAJOR help from another brother, who i wont name, but i think is a Plowboy... we of course were threatened with bodily harm if we kept nominating Jorge for the BOD. Well we never quit and this is a happy day. Right Todd?

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Questions for the Candidate:
  • What specific changes would you want to implement if elected?
  • Name 2 goals that you would like to see completed and implemented during your term (again, be specific)
  • Do you feel that the direction that KCBS is going in is the correct one? If not, where would you like to guide it?
  • Would you be willing to vote to publish a list of committee members for all the KCBS committees?
  • Are you for or against full disclosure of KCBS financials?
  • Should board members be ineligible to vote on issues before the KCBS board where they stand to gain financially from their vote?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

This was the year I was going to finally make good on my threats and not renew membership. Guess i have to renew now.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Questions for the Candidate:
  • What specific changes would you want to implement if elected?
  • Name 2 goals that you would like to see completed and implemented during your term (again, be specific)
  • Do you feel that the direction that KCBS is going in is the correct one? If not, where would you like to guide it?
  • Would you be willing to vote to publish a list of committee members for all the KCBS committees?
  • Are you for or against full disclosure of KCBS financials?
  • Should board members be ineligible to vote on issues before the KCBS board where they stand to gain financially from their vote?
1) I'd like to see the board become more focused on planning and directing the growth of KCBS. From the information I have found the board has been more reactive than proactive. I think there has been too much time spent on issues that don't require the time of the board, and could be more efficiently handled by staff or various committees made up of members.

Improved access to meetings goes hand in hand with that goal. I'd like interested members to be able to listen in to each meeting live either free of charge or at a nominal cost to cover expenses but generate no revenue. I think the additional live scrutiny would be healthy and possibly generate more interest than the current podcasts which I would want to retain for those unable to listen live.

2)Take a look at the term limits as they currently exist. As the rules are written now a member only has to sit out for one year before becoming eligible again. I'd like to see that period lengthened to three years. That additional two years allows others with new ideas and fresh enthusiasm to contribute to the organization and hopefully keep it moving in the right direction and prevent it from becoming stagnant.

I'd like to see a partnership established with various culinary schools to introduce students to BBQ, as presented by established and respected cooks and authors that have experience in the restaurant industry if possible. Once that initial introduction has been made, I believe that it would be possible to pair interested students with willing competition teams from the area as a form of continuing education. There are some costs associated with this program, that will be addressed in more detail later. I think a program like this fulfills at least part of the mission statement of KCBS, and is a step forward to fulfilling the requirements that come along with the 501 status that KCBS enjoys.

3) I feel that progress has been made within the last year. With a few exceptions the board seems to have become somewhat more harmonious. That being said, my impression is that KCBS has been too reactive and not proactive enough based on information that is publicly available. As an example revenue from Sam's Club, and other partnerships have been welcome but there have been issues that have come with that. I recognize that the timeline to get the contests lined up and staffed was short. There has been a problem with judging at several events in that series. I'm not talking about scoring, but the number of judges present. That should be avoidable with proper attention to detail and planning. We need to pay attention to what matters most, and that's providing a quality product and experience to all involved.

I think we need to take a look to see what impact if any some of the high dollar contests have had on smaller established contests. I've heard claims that the larger contests have drawn too many teams away from several smaller contests, putting them at risk in the future. I believe that is possible, but I don't know. It could be the sole reason in some cases, or just an additional factor combined with the economy, higher fuel prices etc. I think we need to find out if possible and look at ways to do everything possible to help both types of events successful.

Both examples indicate to me that there needs to be a greater focus on the planning of growth and the direction of the organization. Too much on the plate too soon, and not enough time to deal with it with the existing infrastructure. Some solutions will be easy and quickly achieved, while others will take some time to put in place.

4) I absolutely believe that committee membership should be a matter of public record, published both in the Bullsheet and within the members section of the KCBS site. Transparency and improved communication with the membership is vital. Beyond that I'd like to see greater participation from the membership at the committee level to involve them in the process, as well as to free up the BoD to focus on the issues they were elected to deal with.

5) My answer is contingent on what someone may define as full disclosure. I don't think we need to know what each individual in the office is paid. However, I have no problem with members knowing what is in the bank, and where the money is going. That's in my best interest as a member, and if elected a member of the board. If elected I will take on some fiduciary responsibility. I'll have nothing to hide, nor do I think anyone else should.

6) Absolutely! My COI will more than likely be the easiest to deal with if elected. I teach no classes, have no product to sell, no book in the works or on shelves, etc... I SPEND money on BBQ, and make NONE. I'd also like to see some form of Code of Ethics instituted if none exists, with emphasis on firm penalties in the event that there is a lack of disclosure.

I apologize for the rough nature, and in some cases incomplete thoughts. I'm in the middle of catching up on work after the Royal, getting ready for the Jack, and trying to spend some time with my wife. I've got additional thoughts and ideas that I will share as the elections nears. If you've got thoughts, suggestions, or points where you disagree I'd appreciate hearing them either publicly or privately. I'm not asking for your vote, but I am asking for the opportunity to earn it. Whether we agree or disagree, I appreciate your interest and taking the time to get involved in the process!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't see any need to discuss. El Hefe has my full support!

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
If elected I'll replace it with a SuperSoaker within 24 hrs.

Shut up, and cook!!!!