Costco Lump Charcoal

bigsapper

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Costco has a no-name brand 35lb bag for 14.95.

I haven't found any reviews about it so I guess I'll grab a bag and try it out. My only point of comparison is Ozark.

Ozark is great stuff - wish we could get it in CA. I'd love to hear about the Costco stuff - that's a great price.

Sams club has a mesquite hardwood, 40 pounds for around $15. They used to carry Frontier for the same price but I can no longer find it an any Sams around here.

Meijers has Frontier brand here but it's pricey. Haven't tried the Costco lump but that is a good price. I've been getting lump at GFS, 20# for 11.99 or 10# RO at wallyworld for 5.99 when its on sale. Looks like I need to head to Costco. Definitely worth a try.

I use it in my bubba keg and my weber bullet. My only complaint is the size of the pieces. I have to break most of them up as they would probably do quite well in my fireplace.

I just bought 50 lbs of RO lump but I'd snag a few bags of these if they ever show up in the local Costcos. :idea:

I have never seen it in my Costco either. I wish I had looked in Lewisville while I was in town yesterday.

Last time I bought charcoal from Costco, I got screwed. It was from Brazil and had a lot of fines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is it Mesquite? From Mexico? Lood for rocks, insulation and watch the sparks.

Sams club has a mesquite hardwood, 40 pounds for around $15. They used to carry Frontier for the same price but I can no longer find it an any Sams around here.
I've got a buddy that has smoked for quite a long time and is basically almost an apple wood snob. :wink:

My buddy also preaches that mesquite is too strong and can ruin pork.

Would this variety of mesquite lump possibly add too much mesquite flavor to pork? I'd like to buy some big bags of Kingsford and lump for my new UDS and I don't want to buy a big bag of Sam's lump if it's going to add too much flavor. I want to add my own smoke flavor.

is it Mesquite? From Mexico? Lood for rocks, insulation and watch the sparks.

Yeah, if it is this stuff, I would just stay away.

The brown bag I experimented with had a few HUGE LOGS and the rest was dust.

It sparks.

I don't mind mesquite normally really, but this stuff had a distinct and strong "fecal" aroma when igniting.

Yeah, if it is this stuff, I would just stay away.

The brown bag I experimented with had a few HUGE LOGS and the rest was dust.

It sparks.

I don't mind mesquite normally really, but this stuff had a distinct and strong "fecal" aroma when igniting.

That's the same stuff we have here. I've tried and only use it for campfires now.

The stuff from Sams is the same stuff Smart and Final has. It has logs and sparks like crazy.

yeah, ive decided to stay away form the sams club stuff... i tried a bag and was not impressed. but you get what you pay for i guess. at that price it might be worth a shot to try it

Back