MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Paper is porous foil aint. Foil will braise your meat bp shields it. If you like a roast beefy flavor and mushy bark your a foil guy.If you like firm bark and great bbq flavor your a paper guy. Braising anit BBQ!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

There are a numb of factors resulting from the question posed. Paper does get charred below its ignition or flash point which may mean it crumbles & become ineffective and give an off taste.
Just to settle the ignition & flash points I provide:

Ignition temperature (also autoignition temperature) – The lowest temperature at which a material, when heated in air, will spontaneously ignite from the heat of oxidation in the absence of any other source of ignition energy.

Flash point – The lowest temperature at which flammable gas given off from a material heated in air is ignited with external ignition energy when the density of the evolved flammable gas has reached the combustion limit.

The ignition temperature for paper is reported to be 450 oC (842 oF), and the flash point of paper is estimated to be 350 oC (662 oF). The reference for all of this information is the Handbook of Physical and Mechanical Testing of Paper and Paperboard Volume 2; Edited by Richard Mark.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey in my above response I am not implying not to use paper - it is great but not at too hot a temperature

Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
I use it for briskets,butts and ribs its personal preference really do you want KCBS bark or traditional bark, if you said yes to traditional then you should give it a shot. People have been using paper bags and such for many years to cook large meats in and it works.
Oh, and paper is not just for meats.... (my notes in blue list the time and oven temps mentioned most often when cooking in paper... starting hot then ramping down the oven for the average times listed in the charts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Paper is porous foil aint. Foil will braise your meat bp shields it. If you like a roast beefy flavor and mushy bark your a foil guy.If you like firm bark and great bbq flavor your a paper guy. Braising anit BBQ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
I like the idea of butcher paper...but all the good stuff leaks out...:D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
You can do sort of a hybrid cook with some foil on the bottom of the paper pouch, or even a foil pan wrapped in paper. If the fat cap is down, the bark on top will still be better preserved than if you were wrapping entirely in foil.....

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Bludawg

I have one as high as 350 in Butcher paper without issue. But I like to stay about 300.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #21
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Oh, and paper is not just for meats.... (my notes in blue list the time and oven temps mentioned most often when cooking in paper... starting hot then ramping down the oven for the average times listed in the charts)

You can do sort of a hybrid cook with some foil on the bottom of the paper pouch, or even a foil pan wrapped in paper. If the fat cap is down, the bark on top will still be better preserved than if you were wrapping entirely in foil.....

I know all about that book read it a long time ago, I have it in my google books

I have never burned anything I have wrapped in paper my name aint stretch

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #22
BrewerDJ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
I have never burned anything I have wrapped in paper my name aint stretch
Ouch. Or should I say BBUURRRRNNNN.
BrewerDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #23
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

The temps at the top of the page referenced in blue are in C* and not F*...correct?

In regards to using paper vs. foil, try the paper, I think that you'll like it. I tried BP a few months ago and haven't used foil since. You still get plenty of juice retained in the paper, but I do recommend putting what you're cooking in a foil pan to catch the juice if you want to use them later...just in case the paper breaks open.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #24
scotts1919
Full Fledged Farker

Speaking of butcher paper, which one of these would you recommend? Or if none of these, where do you get your butcher paper?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x.../43324PEA.html

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x...ml#review_6909
scotts1919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts1919 View Post
Speaking of butcher paper, which one of these would you recommend? Or if none of these, where do you get your butcher paper?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x...ml#review_6909

The second link is the one I bought from them, but I don't see why the other one in the first link won't work. It seems to be closer to the more traditional "red" butcher paper. The only thing not to use would be any wax coated paper.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #26
jdbh
On the road to being a farker

i have used paper a lot and i actually prefer it, the bark is way better but, you don't get as much juice to use later it soaks in paper.
Stump Clone
Big Green Egg XL
UDS (RED)
UDS (Black)
HYBRID OFFSET TRAILER
GREY THERMOPEN
LIME GREEN THERMOPEN
jdbh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #27
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts1919 View Post

EDIT I don't know about treated paper, what I use is just pink butcher paper ABCO Paper Company same place Franklin who has no first name shops.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #28
Boshizzle

Here are some of my experiences with BP.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146676

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146533

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=147283

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=147631