MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Default electric temp control for Master Forge Charcoal or similar

Hi guys. I asked this yesterday but since no one responded, maybe I should ask it differently.

I have this smoker.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_332738-42600...oker&facetInfo=

I want to put a Auber Temp controller on it, or maybe the BBQ Guru Nano.

I have modified the smoker by putting a Weber style damper on the top, and another one of the bottom. And I have put a coal grate in the pan to keep the coals off the bottom. Thats all I have done so far.

From reading about these controllers, I think I need to install the blower below the level of the coal grate. Is this correct?

Also, since this smoker has a charcoal pan, I think I need to drill a hole in the pan and install a pipe through the pan and the wall of the smoker to attach the blower so that it is not just blowing into the pan, but into the coal area instead.

Sound right?

The other things is I need are seal off the hole in the bottom with foil tape, right now there is a fairly large hole in the center of the bottm of the smoker, and also the damper I just put in. I would just keep that closed. And maybe put fire rope around the lid, it does seal pretty tight now though. And also do something with the door if it leaks too.

The aim would be for the smoker to have the ability to completely seal off the air and put the coals out if i closed it up, then it would be airtight enough for the controller to work.

Does it sound like I have all this right?

Any other tips or comments are welcome

thanks for your time

Last edited by ButtBurner; 01-07-2013 at 06:57 AM..
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That sounds like a lot of work. Maybe you should just take the money you are gonna spend on the guru and buy a WSM. Then you won't need a temp controller. Not trying to be a jerk, but that's what I would do.

I hope someone can answer your original question for you.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

with the mods I have already done it works quite well.

This is not my primary smoker, its something I bought to use at my cabin

I was thinking it would be nice to have the temp controller so I can go off salmon fishing or snowmobiling for the day and not worry about monitoring it.

The Auber controller is less than $150. last time I priced a WSM is was about $300.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

The Auber will not work somewere in the middle to low 20s unless you make a box to keep it warm so if its cold weather I would go for a differnt one.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
The Auber will not work somewere in the middle to low 20s unless you make a box to keep it warm so if its cold weather I would go for a differnt one.
thanks. I did know about that so I asked them since its rated to 0 f on their site

this was the response

Our old model, SYL-1613 works for 15f. The one you are looking at our web is two generations newer, SYL-1615. It will work at 0F. Even if the temperature is below 0F, it will still work, just the temperature reading may be slight lower than real when <0F.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok well yes it was the older one but yes that one on the websight was rated like lower 20s and in another group they were failing about there.
I just thought I would bring it up I didnt open mine out of the three I still us the guru.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Ok well yes it was the older one but yes that one on the websight was rated like lower 20s and in another group they were failing about there.
I just thought I would bring it up I didnt open mine out of the three I still us the guru.
thanks Crimson I appreciate you bringing up the temp issue