Selling BBQ

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
First off let me clarify, I do not want to make my living selling BBQ, I would like to help pay for my hobby during the winter.

Living in Rural Pa BBQ is not common but people do love it, so very few places sell it. I often get asked to provide pulled pork and do it for free for friends and relatives. I do this because I love to cook :-D

I have been asked several times how much to smoke or BBQ ribs, or pulled pork and I just do not offer it.

Can you sell say less than $500.00 worth of Q a month for a few months and not have to get into all the stuff you pros do. Premits, inspections etc, would just be selling from my home/business that has plenty of liability insurance. (Photography Studio)

Luckily I would not be making any BBQ vendors mad, cause there just are not any in this area.

I am a full time photographer who is very busy May-October but love to burn some meat in the winter and spring.

I know this is not cooking for the masses but figure you guys know enough about it to give me some info. I am just thinking if I can pay for the meat we eat by selling a little to people who know is would be worth it.

Thanks

Pa BBQ, I do not know about P.A. but in N.Y., you can not sell BBQ or any food with out all the permits, inspections, and hupula. From the sounds of where you live, and If you were cooking for a few neighbors and friends. Getting some 'donations' for the meat might not hurt.

Pa BBQ, I do not know about P.A. but in N.Y., you can not sell BBQ or any food with out all the permits, inspections, and hupula. From the sounds of where you live, and If you were cooking for a few neighbors and friends. Getting some 'donations' for the meat might not hurt.

Thanks Chromestacks
Again, not like I want to make money, more like take home the leftovers.

Just like what i do for a living, I jump through all the hoops and pay all the taxes and insurance to run a photography business, yet for everyone that does it legit, there are 20 who do not. The difference is these people are out really trying to drum up business.

Guess it would be like asking those who do it full time, if you got out of it and no longer had the permits and someone asked you to smoke some meat for a party would you do it?

I would not even think about doing it, without the permits inspections etc. Too much chance of a lawsuit.

Just my .02

Dave (A.K.A. Meadmaker)

You gotta be careful, if a local restaurant/caterer losses business to what you are doing wether or not they even offer bbq, they can and will turn you in. when we first started out, we had no choice but to become legal there is a couple places in town that like to turn people in if they aren't legit. Always watch your back. and good luck to you.

Thanks guys, not trying to do anything illegal, just not sure what kind of business you have to have to get the permits.

I an still trying to understand what i need as well, the easiest thing to do permit wise is to be a private chef and cook onsite, i may be wrong but my understanding is then you do not need any permits etc...

It is niot the easiest rout to take as far as cooking, cant imagine its much fun moving your cookers to a persons house for a extended time to cook pork or brisket.

If you trying to cook at home and sell, forget it, no way that will be legal.
If you can find a certified kitchen, that will let you use it for prep and holding it will make things easier.

I would love to sit with someone in pa sometime that is actually in business and see exactly how it can and is done to be legal, that's my goal.

One common misnomer is the personal chef thing. Bottom line is if you are cooking the food, you are held liable.

What TX said. Health permits ARE NOT dependent on volume. Im MO you either need a temp permit for 1 day, or an annual. Just remember, in this lawsuit happy world a litigant can attach all your possesions if you dont seperate home and business.

NO WAY would I do what your suggesting.

Maybe I need to post this question somewhere else but this is where I am confused.

I realize you will have to have a place to keep food cold, a place to keep it warm and obviously a cooker. I know you will need Hot water but after this I am not sure what you have to have.
Do you have to have a place for them to sit and eat, do you need a bathroom dedicated to the business.

Do you have to have so many square foot of enclosed area with handicap access etc.

I guess I am wanting to know the min it takes to get a permit.

Maybe I need to post this question somewhere else but this is where I am confused.

I realize you will have to have a place to keep food cold, a place to keep it warm and obviously a cooker. I know you will need Hot water but after this I am not sure what you have to have.
Do you have to have a place for them to sit and eat, do you need a bathroom dedicated to the business.

Do you have to have so many square foot of enclosed area with handicap access etc.

I guess I am wanting to know the min it takes to get a permit.
Your local HD will help with that info. Make the local inspector your friend, and all goes much smoother.

Good Luck!

All of those questions are state and county dependant. MOST states wont allow the use of a home kitchen, unless you get it HD inspected, and then some still dont. My HD compliant vending trailer was $30k, but could be done for 1/4 of that if you were small volume and handy with tools.

Dont forget the insurance! $1000 a year -ish.

I have a home based photography studio that is on the same property but separate building. I carry plenty of liability insurance for that business so probably can add to it and save some.

I am only wanting to do a couple things this year like our small town parade and maybe the county fair. Both of these are very small since our town population is 3000 people.

I have a home based photography studio that is on the same property but separate building. I carry plenty of liability insurance for that business so probably can add to it and save some.

I am only wanting to do a couple things this year like our small town parade and maybe the county fair. Both of these are very small since our town population is 3000 people.

I started very similarly. I had a screened enclosure with a floor, cambros, and my smoker. A temporary permit to vend, and some insurance I was on my way.

Check to see if you can use screened enclosures and bare minimum things. Hot water on the burner, etc.

It can't hurt to ask. But, just remember, be prepared for a lot of work. I made the mistake of being unprepared and overworked my first times out. If you are vending for six hours, be prepared to invest another 24 hours preparing for it.

Find out about event permits from the local HD. You can usually get an event permit for around $100 and you can get away with an EZUP, 3 bus tubs with hot water plus a cooler jug filled with hot water for hand wash. And of ocurse some way to keep food warm wihile serving - sterno fired works and sanitizers, extra utensils, thermometers to chek holding temps and a few other assorted things.

It's really not that hard to get started but each county has it's own set of rules and it's important to follow them.

And of course you need to keep the state happy if they charge sales tax on prepared meals. Most states have a form you can fill out that allows you to do occasional events and not have to setup a tax ID with them.

And most events will also require insurance and they need to be added to your policy. Auto Owners may be able to help you. Try independent agents.

And as an FYI to everybody, even if you incorporate the person that cooks the food is still liable outside the business in a lawsuit. So in food prep there's very little way to protect your house.

I sell all of my comp leftovers to my neighbors and co-workers for cost...they love it! :p

As far as catering goes...I cook on-site and do private gigs only...no public vending. Check with your local HD for the rules in your area...get legal...stay legal...:thumb:

In Va you can pull up to 4 temporary permits and pay a $40 fee each time, the hd will come inspect your set up and you can sell under a pop up canopy. After that they will tell you to get a inspected kitchen.

Back