TASSO.....rib trimmings with PrOn

kirkg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Good Tasso is hard to find where I live and I like to incorporate it in some of the things I cook... plus I think I may have finally found a good use for the rib trimmings that have been wasted in the past.

I'm using this recipe http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/meats/pork31.htm

Seasoned tonight and will smoke during the games tomorrow.

Anyone else like/make tasso, please chime in here

Last edited by a moderator:
Never thought about using the rib trimmings. Great idea!!! I use a pork butt.
I cured mine with tender quick . Got the recipe from here some where, it's good I will look for it and post the link. let us know how it comes out. I use mine for jambalaya .

The only thing I would be worried about with rib trimmings being different from pork butt is the differing fat content. I have never made Tasso but I did make sausage from rib trimmings before. If you don't add in a little fat, it tends to cook a little dry. Definitely interested to see how this comes out.

Never thought about using the rib trimmings. Great idea!!! I use a pork butt.
I cured mine with tender quick . Got the recipe from here some where, it's good I will look for it and post the link. let us know how it comes out. I use mine for jambalaya .

From what I've read, you can cure or just season and smoke. I chose the latter as I could not find tender quick locally. Also, I'm just giving it 24 hours in the fridge like the recipe I referenced - other recipes call for several days.

The only thing I would be worried about with rib trimmings being different from pork butt is the differing fat content. I have never made Tasso but I did make sausage from rib trimmings before. If you don't add in a little fat, it tends to cook a little dry. Definitely interested to see how this comes out.

Will definately cook very low and slow. I actually like tasso I've had in the past with a lower fat conent, as long as it's seasoned enough. I'm more concerned about the soft cartilage in the trimmings.....maybe I'll just trim the meat around them after smoking.

I'll try to post some pron

Tasso Pron

Seasoned and ready to throw on the BGE.....

Tassoprep.jpg

closer look...
Tasso1.jpg

on the BGE...
TassoBGE.jpg

thin blue smoke at 210...
Eggsmoke.jpg

Tasso PrOn........

Finished it up late last night and let it rest in the fridge all night. Turned out farkin fantastic with a nice kick. Seasoned some split pea soup (first time i've ever made this - just found a bag of split peas in the pantry and had to try something with it)........much better than I had expected

Tassofinal.jpg

Tasso is getting harder and harder to find. I have a source, but it is 200 miles away.

If you can do it with rib trimmings, share the method. I'd be all over that.

CD

Nice idea with the trimmings, I'll have to give it a shot that way.

I won't make jambalaya without tasso.

Nice job :clap2: I love living in cajun country cause most grocery stores carry several brands of tasso :thumb:

Silly question but the link says "he word tasso is believed to have come from the Spanish work "tasajo" which is dried, cured beef."

Why does the recipe then call for Pork?

Tasso is getting harder and harder to find. I have a source, but it is 200 miles away.

If you can do it with rib trimmings, share the method. I'd be all over that.

CD

Dog - I followed the recipe in the first post with the link and didn't really modify it - no LA pepper sauce, so I used what I had on hand. I smoked it at 200 for, say 5 hours or so, until it looked right. I don't think you can really overdo it at this temp, since you are trying to dry it out a little anyway

Last edited:
Silly question but the link says "he word tasso is believed to have come from the Spanish work "tasajo" which is dried, cured beef."

Why does the recipe then call for Pork?

As far as I know, I've only had pork Tasso....

I got some cured smoked pork tasso in a gift basket this past Christmas and have been wondering what to do with it. It weighs about 20 ounces. I froze it for now. Thinking about adding it to my next batch of chili instead of chorizo. Any other thoughts???

Back