Whole hog cooking time

Tinybud

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I'm going to be cooking a 170 pound whole hog for a wedding reception (very informal) I'll be cooking between 250-275 using a meadow creek PR-60 pig roaster. Its the gas model, but will be using the charcoal insert, and plan on using 70-80 pounds of charcoal. About how long will it take the pig to cook?,, I'm thinking 12hrs, how does that sound? THanks in advance for any and all help.

Shake's website Click Here has some good info. I suggest that you refer to it. I see where he said a 125 lb. (on the hoof) hog at 250*F will take about 10-12 hours.

If you have any questions you might consider giving Rick a call. He is a very nice guy. If he isn't extremely busy he may lend you some good advice to get you going. ~Jim

Typically I plan 1 hour for every 10lbs... cooking between 275 and 300

but I have never done one that big... I'm sure it cooks faster than the time you'd get using this formula.

Last edited:
I cooked a 185 lb. hog last weekend and it took 16 hrs. in my Ole' Hickory @ 225*
I take the rear roast to 170* and the rest of the hog will be done.

Hog2_edited-4.jpg

you can cook one is a standard off set can't you? If I were to like the bottom of the maqin chamber with coals. Is that possible?

Tiny,

I also have a Meadow Creek CD-108. I got a sheet from Al at Alpha E-Sales with cook temps and times on for a pig roast. Did you get any paper work when you got yours? If not, I can scan my copy for you and e-mail it. Let me know.

Question, does your unit have a problem with charcoal ash or do you mainly use the gas unit?

I get a lot of charcoal ash after it has burned for about ten hours. The hot coals settle under the ash and I just cannot keep the temp up.

Any one have any ideas?

Not real familiar with the firebox on the Meadow Creek cookers.

Others with different brands have elevated the charcoal basket/tray to get some more clearance below.

The other option is to periodically shovel out the accumulated ash into a metal container to keep the airflow and temperatures at peak.

Not real familiar with the firebox on the Meadow Creek cookers.

Others with different brands have elevated the charcoal basket/tray to get some more clearance below.

The other option is to periodically shovel out the accumulated ash into a metal container to keep the airflow and temperatures at peak.
The Roaster I'm using is set up for gas, but the charcoal basket they made for it, fits tightly around the gas unit, so the charcoal is under the pig while it cooks seperated with the drip pan. In order to shovel some out you would have to remove the pig. My unit was modified with an offset firebox, so if temps start to drop instead of removing the pig and drip pan, just start a new fire in the firebox and bring temps back up. I'm going to keep temps around 250 for the whole cook. Thanks for the info so far, I greatly appreciate it. Here is a link to some pics of my pig roaster. http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q266/tinybud/?action=view&current=bdee2a8f.pbw

All set, picking pig up tomorrow afternoon,, will get it seasoned and injected and on the cooker at about 10:00pm saturday night, Allowing myself a few extra hours just incase. Just 100lbs of charcoal, apple jack for injection and spraying on skin. Will post pics sunday night or monday of the cook. Thanks for all the help and suggestions, looking forward to doing our first whole hog cook.

Back