Top Secret Recipe (TV Show) 11/24/11 - Chili's BB Ribs

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The 11/24/11 episode of Top Secret Recipe is going to be about Chili's Baby Back Ribs.

I bet this one will be a hoot. If Todd doesn't boil them and use liquid smoke I don't think he will be getting very close to the real thing. :heh:

Reminder - it's on tonight. What are the chances he boils them in some form and uses liquid smoke?

Reminder - it's on tonight. What are the chances he boils them in some form and uses liquid smoke?

One would think so, but I have had ribs there that were less than tender. Leading me to think they might be baking them. Boiled ribs have a strange texture that I have never noticed with Chili's. Better than boiling, not terrible but very plain. But I will be very surprised if the Liquid Smoke does not come into play.

I always enjoy the description in the menu. Even better when the picture shows them on the grill.

BABY BACK RIBS

We've always SMOKED our RIBS in-house. But now we're SLOW-SMOKING them over PECAN WOOD so they're fall-off-the-bone TENDER with a BOLD and SAVORY flavor that's impossible to resist. Choose from Orginal BBQ Sauce, Shiner Bock® BBQ Sauce or Memphis Dry Rub.

Hero_Ribs_6.png

Surprises me if their not precooked vac sealed and shipped to the restaurant.

#reheated

How did I get dragged into this?

yes what channel?

funny about boiling ribs. I was in Montana this summer and a guy knew I smoked a lot, so he went on telling me the best way to do ribs is to boil them first. I just listened to him rave about his ribs and didn't argue with him. My wife thought he was crazy.

To be truly authentic they will need to be fall of the bone, aka as per my experience with them, Boiled to complete mush.

funny about boiling ribs. I was in Montana this summer and a guy knew I smoked a lot, so he went on telling me the best way to do ribs is to boil them first./QUOTE]

Many people believe this. This is how most non BBQ people make ribs. They just don't put in the effort to make them the right way.

One would think so, but I have had ribs there that were less than tender. Leading me to think they might be baking them. Boiled ribs have a strange texture that I have never noticed with Chili's. Better than boiling, not terrible but very plain. But I will be very surprised if the Liquid Smoke does not come into play.

Maybe it'll be grandmas secret rib recipe. Haha

hey guys I have it, on my guide, at 8:30 pm central jus sayin'

I have 2 problems with this show.

#1 - It's just as fake and scripted as every other reality show out there.

#2 - He's trying to clone highly processed foods that were made in a factory. That's simply not possible with every day grocery store items.

Sorry to be the spoiler here, but Chili's does not boil their ribs. They use a pressure smoker and cook a almost three dozen racks of ribs at a time in a pressure smoker @350. Takes an hour tops. I know this cause my ex brother in law used to be a manager at a chili's and they were throwing away their pressure smoker so we procured it before it went in the trash. All it needed was a new acme nut and bolt to seal the door tight to hold pressure. It has a small smoke box with its own heating element inside and you fill it with a handful of wood chips. The smoke box has its own timer for the heat. After the hour is up they take em to the hot grill for a few min and cook on the sauce. So no liquid smoke. Only rub, smoke, and sauce.

I have made ribs in that cooker exactly like Chili's to include using some of their rub and they came out exactly like from the restaurant.

I can't take a pic of mine obviously cause I ain't there but this is what it looks like. it's made by Giles. They might have gone with a different brandname by now, this one was kinda old.

gilessmoker.jpg

Back