MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #1
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

Default Smoked Turkey legs

So I've been thrown into a situation where I need to smoke about 75 turkey legs for a small festival type event. I have never done just turkey legs before but I figured it can't be too bad.

I figure I don't have time for a curing brine with the pink salt, so I'll just do a normal salt, brown sugar brine when I get them tonight.

Sunday morning I will rub them down with olive oil and season them. Then throw them in my smokers at 275 and cook until around 175 IT.

Then I'll toss them into a sanitized and foil lined cooler for serving at noon.

Does this seem like a solid plan or do I need to change anything?

Do I need to remove the tendons in the legs, if so this job just got a lot more time consuming.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
speed2486
is one Smokin' Farker

Plenty of time to cure them. I have done these ‘Disney Style’ legs several times with great success and rave reviews. Super simple. No need to remove tendons or anything.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ey-legs-recipe

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
hammb
Full Fledged Farker

The meathead recipe is delicious if you like the hammy cured Turkey Legs you get at the fair/Disney/festivals/etc.

24 hours would be plenty enough time in the curing brine to get some of that hammy goodness that folks associate with a smoked Turkey leg.

That said, doing a standard/non-curing brine would still result in some tasty Turkey. When I've done them ahead I smoke to temp and then foil wrap individually and re-heat (and usually a bit of sauce/glaze) on a kettle. I've never done more than 10-15 though, and I've never tried to hold them hot.

I'd make sure that cooler is already pre-warmed and that they're packed really tightly in there. Individual turkey legs will cool down to danger zone temps much quicker than the large briskets/butts that we usually stash in a cooler.
hammb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

I smoke turkey wings all the time and have done some legs too. I usually smoke them for about 90 minutes then wrap in foil with apple juice and cook another hour or so. I've also put them in a pan and that worked too. The last steaming process keeps them moist with a good smoke flavor. That might help you keep them warm for longer periods since they might not all sell at once.
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Marwendholt

I have several large roasters I can use to hold them at temp as well, Ill probably go that route to be safe.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
hammb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwendholt View Post
I have several large roasters I can use to hold them at temp as well, Ill probably go that route to be safe.

That is definitely what'd I'd do.
hammb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #7
Marwendholt

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2486 View Post
Plenty of time to cure them. I have done these ‘Disney Style’ legs several times with great success and rave reviews. Super simple. No need to remove tendons or anything.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ey-legs-recipe

Used this recipe and the legs turned out great, everyone loved them. Thank for this.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
speed2486
is one Smokin' Farker

Glad to hear it worked well for you. Now you got me thinking about making a batch this weekend. ��