MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:31 AM   #1
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Smoking Cheese

Gang,

Jorge's last thread on what new ideas for smoking stuff has woken up my lust for smoked cheese. It has been since the late 90's since I have worked or had smoked cheese! With all the many possible fine items we can smoke I never gave it a thought to smoke my own cheeses.

Have any of you smoked any cheese? If so what process did you follow?

Just thinking out loud here but maybe this method will work. I know this may get trickey in summer, or, if you live in TX like Jorge does there may be anther way of smoking cheese in the Dera. Being I am farther north the fall and winters here do deliver cold weather which would be more conducive to smoking cheeses with little effort.

Hear me out. I wait till a cool day--particularly 65 degrees or lower. I can fill up the water pan with ice water or just plain old ice. The charcoal and wood chunks will be started in the chimney till they are grey and ashed over. Once done I get a nice little fore going on in the dera. I am thinking that I want to make sure I do not go past the melting point for whatever cheeses I may be smoking so keeping the internal temp between 65 degrees and 110 will be suitable to get the deed done. Use small fist sized pieces of either oak or apple wood throughout the 1 1/2 - 2 hours of smoking.

Right now I am thinking about smoking Mozzarella, Aged Cheddar, Colby, and some Pepper Jack. Do any of you have any preferences on smoked cheese? If so, what kinds do you like?

Other then having smoked cheese when I want it, I was thinking that these will make great holiday gifts as well. I can vacum seal the cheese to make sure it will last a few weeks after smoking. Wrap them up with a platter, some assorted crackers and some homemade smoked beer sticks (mini sausages). Instead of giving out the family photo and other various gifts I can substitute these goodies instead! Well, some of the in-laws will still only get the photo =)

Heck, who knows I may be able to peddle these along with other wares when the catering window (spring, summer, early fall) window has long past.

Tell me whatca think.

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2004, 08:35 AM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Ask, and you shall receive

http://206.180.232.131/~brethren/ind...=smoked+cheese

http://206.180.232.131/~brethren/ind...=smoked+cheese

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
Arlin_MacRae

Smoking cheese is definitely on my list for those dead-of-winter days when I'm huddled around the 'Dera trying to keep from freezing to death!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2004, 10:42 AM   #4
parrothead

You will need the outside temps way lower than 65. I have done it on blistering cold days. Try to keep the chamber under 90. Even had to prop the door open some.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

I basicly cold smoked some salmon last weekend. Temps stayed around 90-110 most of the time.

I made a fire basket from a peanut can (size of a coffee can), punched holes in the bottom and lower sides. Kept 5-8 Kingsford briquets going at a time. Used Apple chips for smoke. I put the chips inn a HD foil basket on top of the can fire basket.

Was adding 2-3 biquets every 30-45 min, then discovered that if I made 2 lines of briquets from the can forward (can was 3/4s of the way back from the CC) I could extend my burn time to 1-1 1/2 hours. I smoked the salmon for 20 hrs, so in the middle of the night the extended burn time became more important : )

I've been thinking I'd like to try some cheese too.

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2004, 07:13 PM   #6
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Place a bakers cooling rack ove the chimney. Set the cheese on the rack and cover with a card board box. Put some holes in the box for air flow. Cheap easy way to cold smoke any time of year.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2004, 07:47 PM   #7
Bill-Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Place a bakers cooling rack ove the chimney. Set the cheese on the rack and cover with a card board box. Put some holes in the box for air flow. Cheap easy way to cold smoke any time of year.
Holy fark, a smoke box extension mod.

Never would have thought of that.

Good call Neil!

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Old 08-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #8
parrothead

Just watched Alton B rown tonight smoke salmon in a cardboard box. Good stuff. Alton rules!!!!!!!!!!!

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
Bill-Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Alton rules!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats what Rosie ODonnell said on her final episode.

I saw that farker making chili (with an I) on Sunday.

Vomit mod

The death of "willkat98"

Old 08-26-2004, 08:59 AM   #10
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Great idea Neil. We should call it the "Neil method."

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote