MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #16
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

http://kettlepizza.com/how-it-works/
Nice picture tutorial on how to use this.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #17
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd love to get a report from a Brethren when they try it out, this looks interesting.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

No offense to anyone but this looks like a waste of time and money. Why is making pizza on a grill so hard? Like that guy on food network says, don't invest in uni-taskers.

And why are the instructional images taken on a wooden deck? A fire waiting to happen.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #19
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Last pizza I did worked out very nicely. I have a weber with a rotisserie ring on it. The ring comes in two pieces that you bolt together, I added another set of SS bolts 90 degrees to the originals and this allows me to use another rack obove the original. I build up a charcoal base, then put a large pizza pan on the lower rack to act as a diffuser(thank you green egg) then use a pizza pan on the top grill.

You can see one of the added bolts in this pic, sorry I'm too lazy to do the whole pictorial thing, right now. Next time I do pizza I will. Looking at the pic. you can see on the left side the original bolts, bottom one is outward and the top one is mounted inward to provide a mount for the grill, and on the right side is one of the additional ones.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #20
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
I need one of those pizza peels.
jon

Check your local Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmark View Post
Last pizza I did worked out very nicely. I have a weber with a rotisserie ring on it. The ring comes in two pieces that you bolt together, I added another set of SS bolts 90 degrees to the originals and this allows me to use another rack obove the original. I build up a charcoal base, then put a large pizza pan on the lower rack to act as a diffuser(thank you green egg) then use a pizza pan on the top grill.

You can see one of the added bolts in this pic, sorry I'm too lazy to do the whole pictorial thing, right now. Next time I do pizza I will. Looking at the pic. you can see on the left side the original bolts, bottom one is outward and the top one is mounted inward to provide a mount for the grill, and on the right side is one of the additional ones.
Nice idea for a ring mod!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
I'd love to get a report from a Brethren when they try it out, this looks interesting.
Yup, me too! I checked his website and he's claiming he gets temps of 800+...
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #23
landarc

The Pizza Hacker is San Francisco, have been following this guys efforts for a couple of years. I thought he was nuts with the mods, but, his product and rep is great.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #24
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
The Pizza Hacker is San Francisco, have been following this guys efforts for a couple of years. I thought he was nuts with the mods, but, his product and rep is great.
Ok, but he's not the same guy as http://kettlepizza.com/, or is he?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #25
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Pizza Hacker does his pies in like 90 seconds..he has quite the operation going on. I actually started my weber kettle pizza cooker build tonight. I had a 22 inch weber lying around so I cut the bottom out tonight (it took 2 jig saw blades, but it is done!). I have a 180k BTU burner already. I will be using the original coal grate to hold a diffuser (maybe a pan of sand), and then get HD "food grid" and will place my Primo D plates on that (as I do not have a 19 inch round pizza stone which would be IDEAL), and then my Primo stone on top. I will be cutting a 1 1/2 inch by 8 inch wide hole in the front of the lid - this is the exhaust to force the air over the pie instead of having it go out the top. I will drill a hole in the lid and affix a large aluminum lid or pick up another pizza stone - this will drilled through and then bolted on (loosely so it can expand with heat). This helps cook the top as well. I have seen several of these made on another site and the pies are fantastic looking - they are called mini black eggs (if using smokey joe cooker, medium black egg if 18 and then the big daddy that I am trying)..they are cooking at 750 degree stone temps and 800 degree top stone temps (or thereabouts) and are done in about 3 minutes - with very good top and bottom cooking...something that is a challenge on a ceramic cooker..I will have mine done in a few days
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #26
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
I am building mine as we speak..should be done in a day or 2!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #27
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
No offense to anyone but this looks like a waste of time and money. Why is making pizza on a grill so hard? Like that guy on food network says, don't invest in uni-taskers.
LOL...no offense taken partner, but you can't properly cook a NY style pie (much less a Neo style pie) on any grill not named a wood fired oven - ceramic or not.....these converted kettle cookers (for lack of a better word???) work and work well....I have made at least 50 pies on my Primo Oval XL...and while they are great cookers, they are not ideal for pizza cooking - a gasser or weber grill far less so. 99% of home ovens cannot get to high enough temps to even attempt it (unless you hack them and use the clean cycle). I will know for sure in a day or 2 as mine will be done and I will give it a whirl and report back...if nothing else, I will use it as an outdoor fryer!!

Go to youtube and search for little black egg - you will see an old vid (3 years or so) of a guy cooking pies on one of these...these are first versions..they do not have the front vent in them yet...

Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #28
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I thought the same thing.

I see gtsum is knocking one out, which is cool, but I hope no one is paying for these.

Pampered Chef Pizza Stone was like $18. Empty a lit chimney around the outside edge of the entire kettle, center the stone so coal are not directly under it, put on lid for 20 min to heat stone, and you have a pizza making machine (I use this at least once a month when cranking out bigger pizzas)

Yes, this device looks neat, but as SIDE repeats, why invest in a Uni Tasker

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #29
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Pizza Hacker does his pies in like 90 seconds..he has quite the operation going on. I actually started my weber kettle pizza cooker build tonight. I had a 22 inch weber lying around so I cut the bottom out tonight (it took 2 jig saw blades, but it is done!). I have a 180k BTU burner already. I will be using the original coal grate to hold a diffuser (maybe a pan of sand), and then get HD "food grid" and will place my Primo D plates on that (as I do not have a 19 inch round pizza stone which would be IDEAL), and then my Primo stone on top. I will be cutting a 1 1/2 inch by 8 inch wide hole in the front of the lid - this is the exhaust to force the air over the pie instead of having it go out the top. I will drill a hole in the lid and affix a large aluminum lid or pick up another pizza stone - this will drilled through and then bolted on (loosely so it can expand with heat). This helps cook the top as well. I have seen several of these made on another site and the pies are fantastic looking - they are called mini black eggs (if using smokey joe cooker, medium black egg if 18 and then the big daddy that I am trying)..they are cooking at 750 degree stone temps and 800 degree top stone temps (or thereabouts) and are done in about 3 minutes - with very good top and bottom cooking...something that is a challenge on a ceramic cooker..I will have mine done in a few days
Glad you posted this. Further research led me to how to's on building a LBE (little black egg) Most of the ones I've seen are for 18.5 inch kettles, but I see you are going to use a 22.5 inch, which is what I was thinking about. I hope you'll post pics and instructions - from what I can see, next to a wood fired pizza oven, this is the next best thing...and a heck of a lot cheaper!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #30
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Why not just get one of these? It'll withstand something like 2300*, and even
accommodates hinged Weber grates. Sure, some of the heat will escape when
you open the lid, but that stone is a serious edge-to-edge heat sponge. The
heat recovery time with a good fire should be seconds.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
weber kettle mods