MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
jimmypop
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default First time with Wagyu

My lovely wife bought me a Wagyu brisket to cook for Valentine's Day (actually cooking tomorrow), isn't she awesome!

Ive previously cooked mostly choice and I find the stall happens around 150ish so that's when I wrap. Ive heard that the fat in the Wagyu breaks down at a lower temperature so you need to wrap it earlier. Some of the things Ive read say to wrap around 120.

Is it really that much difference?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I wouldn't worry about wrapping at a specific temp, wrap when you like the color on the outside, then cook it til it's done.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I am interested in hearing the answers because I am a wrap when the bark looks good kind of guy rather than temp. But I cook hot and fast so there isn't too much of a stall to worry about. I doubt I will ever cook a Wagyu but you never know.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Sorry never cooked a Wagyu, the only thing I heard is that they cook faster. If that thing is marbled as it should be, don't wrap it.. just run a clean fire, put a little water in your cooker and let it ride... IMO anyways. If you need to wrap do so towards the end.. definitely not at 120*.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
jimmypop

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about hindering the bark. Probably best to just watch the temp and if its stalling too bad, wrap it.

I'll post some photos when its done for sure. Getting excited!

Old 02-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've just found that Prime and wagyu finish at a lower temp more because of how tender they are already (IE fat content too). If you run a wagyu up a little too high of IT, it will still be delicious but it will be pulled not sliced.

As far as wrapping, The main point of wrapping is to overcome the stall. If you don't, your meat could sit and tread water at the same temp for a few hours. Yes, you can wrap for color and the end result is the same, but what you're really trying to do is shave a few hours off your cook time. Just watch your temp, and when it seems to have plateaued, wrap it. I prefer as little wrap time as possible if I can help it... just depends on what kind of a rush you are in I suppose.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
jimmypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
I've just found that Prime and wagyu finish at a lower temp more because of how tender they are already (IE fat content too). If you run a wagyu up a little too high of IT, it will still be delicious but it will be pulled not sliced.

As far as wrapping, The main point of wrapping is to overcome the stall. If you don't, your meat could sit and tread water at the same temp for a few hours. Yes, you can wrap for color and the end result is the same, but what you're really trying to do is shave a few hours off your cook time. Just watch your temp, and when it seems to have plateaued, wrap it. I prefer as little wrap time as possible if I can help it... just depends on what kind of a rush you are in I suppose.

More in the 190* range? I definitely don't want to turn this thing into pulled brisket. Probably going to start probing earlier and pull it once it passes the probe test.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yea, just keep an eye on it once it gets to 190. I let a prime go to 202 and it was a bit over done. Not by much, but you couldn't put a pencil thick slice on your finger

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
landarc

Treat it like any other brisket was what worked for me. When I wrap, it is for color, and use butcher paper. However, I didn't wrap when I did the laat Wagyu, ran it straight through, no wrapping and it came out great. I ran a average temperature of 300°F and it cooked up just fine. There was a short stall, but, nothing of great concern.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Jason TQ

Folks probably have different experiences due to different cookers/temps. But the times I have cooked it there was never much of a stall. Foil when I got the color I wanted and cook till done. Other than that not a ton different. They seem to want to finish a little lower than choice which is what I normally cook.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
landarc

My biggest worry, was that I rely a lot on feel, by squeezing the brisket, and with a Wagyu, I thought that would be an issue, but, it tightened up in the cooker just fine and loosened just as it got done.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
Smokin' Greene
Take a breath!

Cook it as you would a packer. Smoke and color until you are happy, then wrap (if this is your technique). Pull it when it probes like buttath (maybe start probing around 190* if you are a temp guy). Pull and let her rest and I mean let her rest to settle into the wonderful juice piece of meat she can and will be!
Note: There is so much marbling and fat on a Wagyu that I have been trimming mine almost to no fat cap at all. Nice bark all over, seasoning on all in every bite and still juicy and tender.
Custom 24"x60" Insulated Offset
36" Assassin Grill
48" Custom Assassin Grill
A whole family of Webers.
Smokin' Greene is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #13
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I have never had to wrap a Wagyu. The stall has never been severe enough to need it, and the bark turns out that much better without. They do probe tender quicker than lesser grades.