Turkey Legs Help

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I picked up 5 nice sized Turkey Legs, a little over 1 1/2 lb each. I want to Brine and found one from RTD. Thanks Rick.

1 gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup buckwheat honey
black pepper
a few fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme sprigs

cool and brine turkey legs for about 4 hours in the fridge.

smoke with cherry chips 1 hour at 250, then bump up to 300-325 for 1 hour

I like the idea of a quick cook as we want these for dinner tonight. I know Rick is a Pro. Does this sound like a good plan? Or any others want to suggest something? I am going to do them on the Egg.

Terry, we didn't brine ours but rather injected them with Cajun Butter, liberally dusted with Todd's Bayou Dirt and cooked indirect with a couple chunks of cherry at 325 all the way. When they got to 170 IT we grilled them direct for a minute or so to further crisp the skin. They were good. Next night I experimented on them with the oven at 325, in a roasting pan and covered with foil and took them to 210 IT. They came out moist and juicy and pulled nicely without being mushy.

Here's what they looked like off the grill

1665236_Redhot.jpg

Terry, we didn't brine ours but rather injected them with Cajun Butter, liberally dusted with Todd's Bayou Dirt and cooked indirect with a couple chunks of cherry at 325 all the way. When they got to 170 IT we grilled them direct for a minute or so to further crisp the skin. They were good. Next night I experimented on them with the oven at 325, in a roasting pan and covered with foil and took them to 210 IT. They came out moist and juicy and pulled nicely without being mushy.

Here's what they looked like off the grill

1665236_Redhot.jpg

Thanks Guerry, What would you contribute to the difference in IT temps? 170º on grill compared to 210º in the oven? How long did you cook them in each, if ya remember?

To be honest Terry I can't really remember the time but it seemed pretty quick (Hour or so?) on the grill but can't even ball park the oven thing. I had the remote in the living room while we watched tv. The difference between the two was succulence - the second cook bumping the temp was more tender and juicy. Here's a pic of that...

salad5.jpg

The first night off the grill was good, but the second night was...wow.

Back