Sink/washstation for Comp

PigTamer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have looked at the KCBS rules and I am unclear on what is required for a wash station or sink set up? Can anyone point me in the right direction.

You just need three separate containers. To go low bubget you can use three large aluminum pans, one with soapy water, one with a little bleach and water, and one with just plain water to rinse. From there you can get into a more advance sink set up.

You need three "sinks," one with soapy water, one with just water to rinse, and one with a water/bleach mixture to sanitize. Many teams that don't have actual sinks will use three of the bus tubs you can buy at places like Sams club.

And do yourself a favor and start looking for bleach/chlorine test strips. I got hassled by the health guy last year at a comp in CT for not having any. Luckily I was given a tube full from the comp. organizer.

There is a diagram of a Handwash/Dishwash stations most HD's require around here and it is included in the PNWBA Cooks Rules page. www.pnwba.com

I use 3 bus tubs, Coleman Hot water heater, two 1 gallon Bleach and Rinse buckets, and a 5 gal. Igloo drink cooler with a ball valve to make it free flowing.

Health department requirements vary by county, but most HD inspectors want to see:
Three-basin sink setup (for contests can be three bus tubs) for wash, rinse, sanitize with bleach solution. Rather than carry a bottle of liquid bleach, we bring along bleach tablets and test strips, as both are small and lightweight
A source for hot water -- when we brought along the Coleman instant heater, they loved it
A place to wash hands separate from the three-basin (a beverage-dispenser cooler is good), with a catch bucket
Gloves -- being used!
A way to keep hot foods hot, and cold foods cold
A thermometer to make sure foods are at the temps they should be

Now, while all of this would be required and inspected for, say, California venues or Albuquerque, I've seen posts on this forum from other areas that say, in essence, "WHAT health department?", so your area's mileage may vary.

Around here, you only need the 3 sink setup if you vend. Other wise you can get by with bleach water for sanitizing and running water for rinsing.

http://www.eberspacher.com/products/handwash/

My hand wash station...

Hot and Cold Water at any Location is Now an Affordable Reality

Eberspächer are proud to announce what is undoubtedly the most compact, easy to install and technologically advanced mobile handwash unit.
For anyone whose work brings them into contact with hazardous substances, or unhygienic conditions, it should be considered a necessity.
Extensively used by major companies, Eberspächer Handwash Units can assist you in meeting occupational health and safety requirements.
Easy Installation
Unit can be easily mounted to any vertical surface and wired to a 12 volt power source, 24 volt systems are available.
Low Power, Heavy Duty Heater Element Using high corrosion resistant materials and state of the art electronics, the heater element themostatically controls water temperature to 60°C. The system is also protected by a thermal overload safety device.
products_handwash2.jpg

Back