MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default November BOD Meeting - Other Issues of Interest

There was some suggestion that KCBS look into doing a live Internet broadcast of the banquet when the announcement of the BOD election and the ToY results were announced, similar to what was done at The Jack. The Chairman of the Technology Committee stated that he objected to that because it might keep members from paying to attend live. WHAT??? Seriously???

On another interesting note, apparently someone DID request the so-called nepotism issue be discussed again. It was not publicly revealed who had requested it as we obviously were not given copies of the notes that Board members had. But Mike Lake brought the topic up and stated that the Board had voted it down three times in the past and that the Board will not entertain any questions on the issue tonight.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Plowboy

I was told that the goal of the nepotism discussion was to get it on the election ballot to have the members vote on it.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Jeff_in_KC

If it meant we will have heard the last of this issue, bring it on.
KCBS Member #14287
Old 11-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Jeff,
What happened with this item from the agenda?

Discussion of breach of confidentiality of executive session by member of the Board
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Hey Jeff,
What happened with this item from the agenda?

Discussion of breach of confidentiality of executive session by member of the Board
Ray, they moved that into the executive session. I don't know what happened on it.
KCBS Member #14287
Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Jeff. Executive Session seems to be a good tool for them as we pay more attention.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Having served on several small non profit boards, you might want to suggest this be read by the board and the membership alike:
http://www.boardsource.org/Spotlight.asp?ID=116.373

or this one

http://www.boardsource.org/dl.asp?document_id=555

Last edited by Redheart; 11-12-2009 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: corrected fat-fingered link
Redheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

That looks like a great resource.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

I think the breach of fiduciary from a board member is a valid reason to have an executive session, but these tips can help with overall transparency issues and prevent the board from declaring executive session because the topic is heated or because they feel they have heard enough, so to speak. I think all votes should be open except when dealing with disciplinary action of board members, executive reviews or obviously sensitive legal or financial issues. But I do believe that the minutes of those meeting should be revealed to the members without names of the those making comments or the recording of the vote, just the voting results. One board I was on played it like the Supreme Court. When a sensitive vote was taken, the decision was revealed through a report, but a dissenting report was also created. This prevented the tedious nature of minutes and allowed for the logic of both sides of the issue to present their logic on the issue. I thought that was pretty neat.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheart View Post
Having served on several small non profit boards, you might want to suggest this be read by the board and the membership alike:
http://www.boardsource.org/Spotlight.asp?ID=116.373

or this one

http://www.boardsource.org/dl.asp?document_id=555
That is a great looking site, Redheart! Thanks!
KCBS Member #14287
Old 11-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheart View Post
I think the breach of fiduciary from a board member is a valid reason to have an executive session, but these tips can help with overall transparency issues and prevent the board from declaring executive session because the topic is heated or because they feel they have heard enough, so to speak. I think all votes should be open except when dealing with disciplinary action of board members, executive reviews or obviously sensitive legal or financial issues. But I do believe that the minutes of those meeting should be revealed to the members without names of the those making comments or the recording of the vote, just the voting results. One board I was on played it like the Supreme Court. When a sensitive vote was taken, the decision was revealed through a report, but a dissenting report was also created. This prevented the tedious nature of minutes and allowed for the logic of both sides of the issue to present their logic on the issue. I thought that was pretty neat.
Issues can be discussed in executive session. ALL motions and votes must be taken publicly and published in mimutes. KCBS follows that procedure. There are no secret motions or votes which are not recorded. (at lease while I have served as Secretary.)
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
There was some suggestion that KCBS look into doing a live Internet broadcast of the banquet when the announcement of the BOD election and the ToY results were announced, similar to what was done at The Jack. The Chairman of the Technology Committee stated that he objected to that because it might keep members from paying to attend live. WHAT??? Seriously???
Live broadcasts? Wow, I would suggest the Technology Dept of the KCBS instead continue to work on the improved contest scoring system with integrated team points reporting and ranking system that has been promised to be in place for the last couple of years, but not yet provided to us. Jeff, a friend of mine and of many members, member Paul Ostrom comes to mind to contact if you get elected, if you agree with me that we need someone capable to help in the technology department.........
Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Plowboy

Cause watching TOY live I like watching the JACK awards except much less thrilling. I know I am going to Phiily to watch the TOY awards and Election results. It is what I live for.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
Jeff_in_KC

No, an Internet broadcast is not urgent but is it something a majority of those who could not attend would support? I bet so. I know I'D watch it if I wasn't going to Philadelphia. And it's nowhere near the big project or cost that scoring software would be. Why not do both? Greg, it's obvious Paul knows something about this and would be an excellent resource. Plus Paul is a hell of a good guy!
KCBS Member #14287
Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Issues can be discussed in executive session. ALL motions and votes must be taken publicly and published in mimutes. KCBS follows that procedure. There are no secret motions or votes which are not recorded. (at lease while I have served as Secretary.)
Merl
Merl, I did not mean to impugn you or any one on the KCBS board presently or in the past. I hope you did not take my comment in that manner.

Thank you for explaining the KCBS system, I really should have read the by-laws before I commented.

Last edited by Redheart; 11-12-2009 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling of impune to impugn
Redheart is offline   Reply With Quote