Lamb and Venison Shoulders on the Fire

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Last time camping, I brought a lamb shoulder with me, to go along with my usual venison shoulder. I marinated the lamb with olive oil, rosemary, salt and garlic . The venison shoulder was from rifle season, I went with Alegro original. Bagged and tossed them in the cooler before leaving home..

ZQ7H7u6.jpg

bKPj9Fc.jpg

1gRfAtv.jpg

Had venison, shrimp and grits for breakfast that morning.. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261999

Set the tractor rim up for the shoulders...

eb5S92q.jpg

G8fpG8e.jpg

XzEsOUA.jpg

Kept the meat on the low heat side of the fire, added a log when needed, flipped and rotated the meat for even cooking.

TGjF6vd.jpg

LaTUly7.jpg

I plan on 6 to 7 hrs on the venison shoulder, depends on the wind.

Rje71bH.jpg

A2nSWiA.jpg

A storm moved in and plans changed... I wanted to saute onions and peppers but skipped it.

aZs5Xvn.jpg

8S53xRU.jpg

p9BynA1.jpg

I was starving and liked the looks of the meat so I called er good.

7H9UdNp.jpg

This was self serve. lol

xSLgLVw.jpg

We stood around carving hunks of meat off of the shoulders and sipping on cold beer. lol

OlkOpWv.jpg

venison... I like mine pink or rare...
The shoulder contained varying degrees of pinkness, I sliced off what looked good to me.

dkyAHZ9.jpg

I like lamb on the rare side too....

zXhfIrb.jpg

dRdapym.jpg

I finally heated some tortillas, filled with meat and grabbed my bottle of Fletchers...

7Xtnm1W.jpg

Some venison...

INowaSu.jpg

and lamb...

h263HV7.jpg

The storm rolled in...

AichwsD.jpg

Eo2C8xt.jpg

ClhaUCl.jpg

It was a good day! :-D
I enjoyed both the venison and the lamb. Will do it again in the future.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Zippy! :grin:
The lamb was a nice addition.. hope to take a shoulder with me again.

That looks awesome. I've never done lamb so gonna have to give it a shot.
Also, since your last pics I've been obsessed over finding a big tractor rim to make a fire pit.

6-7 hours? Sounds like ya were working and the others were camping! Once again Miss Lady proving it's the cook and not the cooker!

What's it take to get invited to one of these 5 star camping trips any how?

-D

That looks awesome. I've never done lamb so gonna have to give it a shot.
Also, since your last pics I've been obsessed over finding a big tractor rim to make a fire pit.

Thanks William! Lamb is pretty tasty. I liked the way it turned out this cook.
Hope you have good luck finding a tractor rim. It's handy. I tip it on it's side and roll it to where ever I need it. lol

6-7 hours? Sounds like ya were working and the others were camping! Once again Miss Lady proving it's the cook and not the cooker!

What's it take to get invited to one of these 5 star camping trips any how?

-D

lol Thanks Dave! Depending on the size of the logs, I tossed one on the fire every 45 minutes to an hour. It wasn't too bad. I was fishing while the meat cooked. You've got an open invitation. Bring beer and your favorite campfire chair. :laugh::thumb:

Beer I can do! Bushmills as well! Probably drag one of my dining room chairs along with me...it's rather comfortable...might raise some eyebrows though, lol

-D

looks good

Thank you PnkPanther! Venison is one of my favorite camp meals. :grin:

Beer I can do! Bushmills as well! Probably drag one of my dining room chairs along with me...it's rather comfortable...might raise some eyebrows though, lol

-D
lol I've never tasted Bushmills. I'm a lightweight drinker. (coors light)
Your chair would be fine. :laugh:
Saw someone back a stock trailer into a camp site one time, had a fridge in the back end. He opened the trailer gate, ran an extension cord from the fridge to the campsite plug in and had cold beer for the weekend. :laugh:

Never tasted Bushmills...?

-D

Nope. Never! I drink Crown Royal every so often but have never tasted Bushmills. I should see if the liquor store carries it here! I'm pretty much a lightweight when it comes to booze. I don't know what's good and what's not. lol

Now that’s how its done Cowgirl! Love seeing more people smoking/grilling lamb shoulder. I am deprived of it because I can’t convince rest of family to like it!

Now that’s how its done Cowgirl! Love seeing more people smoking/grilling lamb shoulder. I am deprived of it because I can’t convince rest of family to like it!

Thank you Charcoalwilly! Sorry to hear you don't get to enjoy it often. I'm with you... it's mighty tasty! :grin:

Nope. Never! I drink Crown Royal every so often but have never tasted Bushmills. I should see if the liquor store carries it here! I'm pretty much a lightweight when it comes to booze. I don't know what's good and what's not. lol

It's Irish comfort.
Seems I've derailed yer thread so I'll politely bow out and let ya get back to it. I have the bad habit of bantering to and fro if given the opportunity, lol

Wonderful cook!

-D

It's Irish comfort.
Seems I've derailed yer thread so I'll politely bow out and let ya get back to it. I have the bad habit of bantering to and fro if given the opportunity, lol

Wonderful cook!

-D

No problem!! I've learned something new. I'll see if I can find Bushmills, thanks for the info!

Back