MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #1036
Elrik
On the road to being a farker

So glad to see all your work finally coming to fruition! Have been following the story since the beginning, truly inspiring.
Elrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #1037
bigben800
Got Wood.

Never give up...never ever give up.- Jim Valvano.
bigben800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #1038
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Awesome work, man!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 04:48 AM   #1039
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

After reading through this whole "experience" to just get open, this *almost* makes it worth it. Almost. Good job Sir...

As a side note, I snuck one of the pickles from his recipe after I made it just about 12 hours ago. It was crunchy, tangy, and flavorful. Didn't catch the heat yet, but it is a simple and great recipe. All credit to Marubozo!

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #1040
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the update, and congratulations on another successful day. The suggestion to do something similar to Franklin's isn't a bad idea, to simply market yourself as being open until sold out. Supply vs Demand = long lines

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #1041
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I been try'n to keep up with this thread but it's a monster of a story. Seems your hard work and out prayers and thoughts seem to hit the spot and you are selling out. Thanks to Ron's IFTTT info I got this post. They have a used SP for sale and perhaps you may want to check it out.

If you found a solution ignore this.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bfd/4304316345.html

And it's true there are a lot of us living this dream through you.

All the best,

Gaspare
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #1042
lenny
Knows what a fatty is.

good luck with your dream, as they say, its not work if you love what you do
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #1043
Mxited
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Marubozo, congratulations on your first weekend of many. May you fill the world with happy diners.
Mxited is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #1044
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I don't know the area well enough to say whether it is a good idea for you to stay open between lunch and dinner, but it is not uncommon in Texas to close for those few hours. Basically, you do two rounds of "until sold out." It makes it a lot easier to gauge your meat pulls and leaves you with a better product. Some places can get away with a small pull for the in between crowd. My advice until the patterns are more set (remember.. this is brand new) is to stay open throughout and doing a dinner pull. Put a notice on the website, FB and even the door that says something to the effect of "sometimes we run out, but we will have more ready in a few hours."

Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #1045
landarc

The kitchen I worked in for the longest time, would shut down at 2pm and open at 5pm, and that time was precious to us. We could clean thoroughly, prep thoroughly, get everything reset. The owner could get a nap in, as she would be running from morning to night. It made a big difference in the quality of cooking and service.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #1046
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
I don't know the area well enough to say whether it is a good idea for you to stay open between lunch and dinner, ...
The whole issue is really a problem. In a way, I think it might be better to be deciding how much meat to put on vs. do I need to install another smoker. I suspect a new smoker would run tens of thousands of $$$ before the first piece of 'Q is served. Will the ongoing level of business justify the cost? There's a lot of pent up demand being satisfied. Unfortunately, running short itself will also put a crimp in that demand.

In the short run, I think I would be looking for an auxiliary smoker to provide some short term capacity before deciding if more capacity was warranted.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #1047
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Jeremy has some great food and I'm wondering if after the "new" wears off will this crowd keep coming in and buying up all the Q?
This has been a long process with a lot of anticipation building so that is possible.
I truly wish the best for you Brother and hope this stays as busy as it's been.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #1048
landarc

There are actually patterns in the restaurant business that are well understood in terms of how a business cycles. It is not at all unexpected to have a rush, and to have very heavy business when a new restaurant opens, even more so, if the product is good. This is when you have the chance to establish a base of customers who will become regulars. There will be a drop off, usually around 2 months in, that will see business decline, to a steady state. Until you get there, you should not make huge expenditures.

Once you have been open 6 months, you will see where your demands are, and how you need to staff, cook and operate. That is the time to measure what you are doing. Franklin is a phenomenon, but, remember that he is in Austin, which offers certain market factors (young, hip, high income, entertainment oriented) that are not present in most locations.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #1049
ShizuokaMark
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
The kitchen I worked in for the longest time, would shut down at 2pm and open at 5pm, and that time was precious to us. We could clean thoroughly, prep thoroughly, get everything reset. The owner could get a nap in, as she would be running from morning to night. It made a big difference in the quality of cooking and service.
That's standard practice here in Japan as well. Most restaurants (that aren't large chain types) open for lunch from 11-2 and then close until 5. Will you potentially miss out on a few customers? Of course. But in the long run having those few hours every day to regroup will pay off in better product as well as keeping your sanity!
ShizuokaMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #1050
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Jeremy has some great food and I'm wondering if after the "new" wears off will this crowd keep coming in and buying up all the Q?
This has been a long process with a lot of anticipation building so that is possible.
I truly wish the best for you Brother and hope this stays as busy as it's been.
That was kind of my point. It is way to early to make snap decisions/judgments. Ride the wave for a little.

Thanks from:--->