Turkey on a Summit grill

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Thanksgiving is close
Every recipe I see for cooking turkey calls for using indirect heat
However, if I want to smoke on the Summit - should I use the smoking setting (charcoal and wood low down and the diffuser plate on)
Opinions?

Also - how much wood to use for a 20+ pounder?

thanks

I'll give you my two cents. Deflector or not, I'd have a disposable pan with some water in it below the bird. I'd use a couple of small chunks of apple for smoke. It is easy to oversmoke poultry in my experience.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I'll give you my two cents. Deflector or not, I'd have a disposable pan with some water in it below the bird. I'd use a couple of small chunks of apple for smoke. It is easy to oversmoke poultry in my experience.

Thanks. I’m going to have bird sit in liquid. Trying to follow a Weber recipe

Made a delicious practice turkey in my drum with plain kbb...roaster pan below full of water/veggies/scraps for a gravy. Cooked at 325 ish until 165 in the breast. Spatchcocked 12 lbs took 1.5 hrs and only used a couple lbs of charcoal in the basket. Super juicy, good flavor and nice crispy skin.

Made a delicious practice turkey in my drum with plain kbb...roaster pan below full of water/veggies/scraps for a gravy. Cooked at 325 ish until 165 in the breast. Spatchcocked 12 lbs took 1.5 hrs and only used a couple lbs of charcoal in the basket. Super juicy, good flavor and nice crispy skin.

Would you put a turkey in the liquid or would you use a rack?
This is for non spatchcocked

I dont have a summit, but did smoke 5 breasts and 8 thighs & legs, no brine just salt pepper garlic & onion in the smoke until a internal temp of 150 to 160 then foil wrap with 1/2 stick of unsalted butter and a squirt of honey until 165 internal, the consumers really enjoyed them.

Attachments

• small group thanksgiving 2018 (2).jpg
    small group thanksgiving 2018 (2).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 151
Turkey in water-poached. Never heard of that.
Even a drip pan close to the bird slows cooking.
turkey-pan2.jpg

https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...recipe-ultimate-turkey-easily-adapted-cooking

From Weber's recipe:

Place one foil pan inside the other and combine the aromatics in the top pan. (Do not use a high-quality metal roasting pan, as the smoke may discolor it.)
Add 2 cups of the chicken broth.
Place the turkey, breast side down, inside the foil pans and over the aromatics.

The Weber Summit cookbook, page 134, says "place the turkey on a roasting rack, breast side down, and set it inside the pans."

So the turkey is not in the liquid, but is on a rack above the liquid.

The Weber Summit cookbook, page 134, says "place the turkey on a roasting rack, breast side down, and set it inside the pans."

So the turkey is not in the liquid, but is on a rack above the liquid.

Yes. Thanks
This is a different Weber recipe.
Weird

From Weber's recipe:

Place one foil pan inside the other and combine the aromatics in the top pan. (Do not use a high-quality metal roasting pan, as the smoke may discolor it.)
Add 2 cups of the chicken broth.
Place the turkey, breast side down, inside the foil pans and over the aromatics.
Can you post the recipe or a link to it? Breast in liquid makes no sense to me.

I used that amazing ribs recipe and it came out juicy and delicious. Don't follow any recipe that wants you to boil any part of your turkey...

"Place the turkey, breast side down, inside the foil pans and over the aromatics."
And in one of the picture captions, "Place the turkey, breast side down,
inside the foil pans and over the vegetables."

That implies a rack of some sort, or relies on the vegetables holding the turkey out of the liquid.
Also, the recipe says this
"SHIELDING THE
BREAST MEAT
Because the breast meat cooks faster
than the leg meat, you should protect
the breast and slow down its rate of
cooking. I do that by facing the breast
down inside a broth-and-vegetable-filled
pan for the first hour of cooking."

Even if the turkey was in the liquid, it would only be for one hour. I'd still want it out.

Reading over the whole recipe, I believe it predates the Summit. The pictures of a charcoal cook are from a kettle. I'd follow Weber's instructions for an indirect cook on a Summit for the coals.
Did you watch Baby Back Maniac's video? He's usually pretty good at how to use a cooker.

It seems that 2 cups wouldn't actually result in the breasts being submerged, with that big a roasting pan. My guess is their hope is it'll steam off into the breasts to start. That being said, mine were super juicy without that extra work. Take the bird off at 160 breast temp and they should rise 5 more while resting. That's more important for juiciness. You'll have to cook off a lot more moisture to get them to 170 on the grill.

"Place the turkey, breast side down, inside the foil pans and over the aromatics."
And in one of the picture captions, "Place the turkey, breast side down,
inside the foil pans and over the vegetables."

That implies a rack of some sort, or relies on the vegetables holding the turkey out of the liquid.
Also, the recipe says this
"SHIELDING THE
BREAST MEAT
Because the breast meat cooks faster
than the leg meat, you should protect
the breast and slow down its rate of
cooking. I do that by facing the breast
down inside a broth-and-vegetable-filled
pan for the first hour of cooking."

Even if the turkey was in the liquid, it would only be for one hour. I'd still want it out.

Reading over the whole recipe, I believe it predates the Summit. The pictures of a charcoal cook are from a kettle. I'd follow Weber's instructions for an indirect cook on a Summit for the coals.
Did you watch Baby Back Maniac's video? He's usually pretty good at how to use a cooker.

Thanks. I’ll check the book and the video.
It’s an old recipe

Back