MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #106
Bentley
Babbling Farker

I did not know there were pores on muscle.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #107
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I did not know there were pores on muscle.
well... like I said... "they" say it. Now we are not talking about Pores as in skin pores but pores as in porus. Capillaries, fissures between muscles, broken cell walls if it was frozen...stuff like that.

I really don't put much faith in that theory anyway... most people make far more critical errors in BBQ other than rubbing or not.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #108
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

..................................Just me, but there is NO one REAL way to anything. As was said, that's the fun about all this..........taking your own path, maybe based on someone else's directions,"They", to get where you want to go. As long as you get there. I'll stick to my own route. But that's just me.
Guess I'm just not funky.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 02-25-2009 at 11:44 PM..
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #109
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
well... like I said... "they" say it. Now we are not talking about Pores as in skin pores but pores as in porus. Capillaries, fissures between muscles, broken cell walls if it was frozen...stuff like that.

I really don't put much faith in that theory anyway... most people make far more critical errors in BBQ other than rubbing or not.

I see, said the blind man to his deaf dog!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #110
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
....broken cell walls if it was frozen...
Never thought about that. Do you think you get better tenderness or flavor penetration if you pre-freeze the meat before cooking?

Last edited by JamesTX; 02-26-2009 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: spelling and grammar
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #111
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTX View Post
Never thought about that. Do you think you better tenderness of flavor penetration if you pre-freeze the meat before cooking?
Yes on the tenderness part. Not sure on the penetration. You need complete cells for osmosis to take place properly. If the cell is destroyed, there is nothing for osmosis to transport through. However, this does not necessarily preclude the possibility of flavor transport either.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #112
JD McGee

I picked up a 5lb choice flat yesterday from Costco...gonna see what this no-sugar brisket rub thread is all about this Sunday!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #113
bigabyte

Cool, can't wait to hear your results!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #114
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
I picked up a 5lb choice flat yesterday from Costco...gonna see what this no-sugar brisket rub thread is all about this Sunday!
Ok, if you are gonna do it right. Do the first one with only salt and pepper.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #115
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Ok, if you are gonna do it right. Do the first one with only salt and pepper.
I'm trying thirdeye's version...it's a few posts back.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #116
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
..................................Just me, but there is NO one REAL way to anything. As was said, that's the fun about all this..........taking your own path, maybe based on someone else's directions,"They", to get where you want to go. As long as you get there. I'll stick to my own route. But that's just me.
Guess I'm just not funky.
Typical response from this guy. What point are you making that you haven't made before. When I say "Only for the Funky" please take it as your que to stay away. For your own time. You have mentioned time and time again that I am not your cup of tea... what's the point? I can dig it... why can't you?

For instance Bob, when I see your threads or posts on Tex Mex I see that you are saying that this is your expression... I don't critique based on your preference Tex Mex over Mexican. I don't preach I Mex. I don't say Tex Mex is more like Germex. I just read your stuff, enjoy it for it being about your style and that's it.

This goes for people like Barbarian and that guy that has the little BBQ supply company in Michigan? Just chill guys, have a beer or something. I try and warn you that you won't like my Funk... so stay ignore me... Its been more than a year now... neither of us is gonna change. Ignore me man and don't waste the energy. If you guys hate a certain resturant do you visit it over and over again?

I appreciate the good (funky) people that understand that this was a discourse on salt and its role and I appreciate their input. Would I have gotten a better smoke ring after 12 years of BBQing hot and fast if I simply told Thirdeye when he was preaching that there was OTHER WAYS or that I'll just keep doing what it do? No... I listened, knocked my temp down for an hour or too and have a better product I think.

Other topics arose in this thread. Since this was my thread and don't mind hijacking (because its fun) I thought I'd pick up some information here and there. It's all for the good of BBQ.

Several people have enough brains to also know when I am kidding or being silly (which is most of the time) about preaching tradition (as long as you have a stoker and web based temp control or BBQ Guru backup) or about freezing anyone who thinks differently in liquid nitrogen. Lets make it clear to those that just don't get it... my silly rants about style and technique and inflexibility are parodies of people that rant about ONE style ONE technique and are inflexible.

Still there are the Little Nellies that got to get their piece in but offer nothing in the DISCUSSION. And I understand you may not want to offer commentary because you can't understand what I am saying. I know that in advance.

If I were a true BBQ Brisket TRADITIONALIST I would SIMMER my brisket first before grilling it over a pit a la Chuckwagon Style.

If I were a true Pork BBQ traditionalist I would Boil first (Ribs too).

This is what is so silly about all the talk about tradition... thanks in advance to those that get the joke.

God Bless
I am not gonna change my style, I am not gonna leave this joint so find that ignore button and click it. Its okay.... I will be fine. You will be too.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #117
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I also sanction our resident scientist BIGABYTE to write a thread on basic experiment rules. In essence, why when your testing one technique, we don't add other techniques then try and deduce which technique did what. He is brilliant in his methods.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #118
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Point made, point taken. I can respect that. But just like with anything else, doesn't mean we all need to agree with everyone on everything. As you said, there is always the option to ignore.

Sincerely,

This Guy.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #119
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

barbefunkoramaque in post #116 said;
I appreciate the good (funky) people that understand that this was a discourse on salt and its role and I appreciate their input. Would I have gotten a better smoke ring after 12 years of BBQing hot and fast if I simply told Thirdeye when he was preaching that there was OTHER WAYS or that I'll just keep doing what it do? No... I listened, knocked my temp down for an hour or too and have a better product I think.

I was trying to learn more about Q from this thread and your discourse on salt. My problem is I did not understand your terminology and when I ask what things meant and measurements did not get IMHO reasonable answers. I tried to listen but got no help, I did not know at the time that I was supposed to already know everything funky. I did not know that your videos only contain partial how-to do things. I guess you don't want input or discussions with people that are not IYO funky. And you seem to not want them to learn to be funky.

Other topics arose in this thread. Since this was my thread and don't mind hijacking (because its fun) I thought I'd pick up some information here and there. It's all for the good of BBQ.

I thought I might pick up some info also.

Several people have enough brains to also know when I am kidding or being silly (which is most of the time) about preaching tradition (as long as you have a stoker and web based temp control or BBQ Guru backup) or about freezing anyone who thinks differently in liquid nitrogen. Lets make it clear to those that just don't get it... my silly rants about style and technique and inflexibility are parodies of people that rant about ONE style ONE technique and are inflexible.

See now you get insulting, IMHO. You probably think that comment is funny but is it really? Your telling me I am stupid because I don't see when you are kidding and when you are not. Brains don't have anything to do with knowing whether or not you are kidding. I don't recall ranting about ONE style or being inflexible. I am just a backyard Q guy trying to learn how to cook and what tastes good.

Still there are the Little Nellies that got to get their piece in but offer nothing in the DISCUSSION. And I understand you may not want to offer commentary because you can't understand what I am saying. I know that in advance.
And how is one supposed to understand what your saying if you just rag on them???? Yes I have found the ITI button on the tool bar, but just have not used it yet. Let's see is that funny or not????

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #120
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Oh and I apologize if my previous post hijacked your thread.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rub salt popdaddy