MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Default BBQ Guru

Wow, I finally got a Guru for my pit and all I have to say is WOW.
From start up to recovery after adding cold meet to maintaining temps to fuel consumption. Its like a completely different Pit. Anyone thinking of the product sould pull the pin cause they sure make the cook easy!!!!!!

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have been looking at those. Do you know how well it would work on an EGG?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Smoker View Post
I have been looking at those. Do you know how well it would work on an EGG?
I have one for doing the long cooks on my BGE although I have not really had problems maintaining my temps even on the long cook. Definitely good insurance for that overnighter. I also have the turbinator for one of my large BGE and seeing how that will compare to the regular iron grate on my other large. Get the 10 cfm for the large & XL and the 4 cfm fan for the medium, & small bge.

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy View Post
I have one for doing the long cooks on my BGE although I have not really had problems maintaining my temps even on the long cook. Definitely good insurance for that overnighter. I also have the turbinator for one of my large BGE and seeing how that will compare to the regular iron grate on my other large. Get the 10 cfm for the large & XL and the 4 cfm fan for the medium, & small bge.
Good advice, Thanks!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I love my DigiQII. That thing almost takes all the fun out of BBQ'ing. If your idea of fun is constantly monitoring the fire and stoking the coals.
TN_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Check out the stoker too

I purchased a DigiQ2 earlier this year and used it twice. Worked great. Then I decided I really wanted to be able to control multiple smokers and ended up selling the Guru and buying a Stoker.

I think they are both great for overnight cooks, just removes some of the worry.

I would only recommend the stoker over the Guru if you want to control more than one smoker or are a tech geek and want to control it through a network. I qualify for both. I actually have a wireless adapter on mine so I don't need to run a cable from my router to the stoker. I can just sit inside and check my laptop for updates on meat temp, smoker temp, etc.

Does it take some of the fun out, sure. But it allows you to get more done. If you value that and don't always feel like tending the fire, they are great.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Pipin' Pig
Full Fledged Farker

I would second the suggestion to consider the stoker. I have the stoker with one pit probe and 3 meat probes and the 5CFM fan for around the same price as the guru.

For me, it has much more upside with respect to expansion. You can easily add more probes and fans to be able to control multiple pits. Add to that the ability to plug it into your computer network and monitor and graph your cooks. Makes test cooks and experiments very easy for logging, etc.

Also, I think a 5CFM blower would be fine regardless of the size of your egg. The greater capacity blower would help with faster recovery but I do not think it is necessarily a must have for "reasonable" (read faster than without the blower alone) recovery and rock solid temp maintenance.
Bag piper
Cookers:
- Stumps 223
- CB Bandera
- Jen Aire Gas Grill
Pipin' Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I agree that any temp control device is nice to have. I don't use my Stoker for every cook, but if it is an overnighter I do.

I have use the Stoker on XL, Large, and Medium Eggs and the 5cfm fan is fine for all of them. It also controls my Medium Spicewine with ease. I actually think with a 10 cfm fan it would be very easy to overshoot your temps.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

I have one on every one of my Backwoods. I also give Brethren discounts give me a shout if you have any questions.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
backporchbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it takes the fun out of it. We bought one and have never used it. I like staying up all night keeping an eye on the fire and meat. That's just me, I am used to staying up all night and for very long hours. I know eventually I will value a little sleep more and use it, but I think right now the team agreed to hold off for now.
backporchbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by backporchbbq View Post
I think it takes the fun out of it. We bought one and have never used it. I like staying up all night keeping an eye on the fire and meat. That's just me, I am used to staying up all night and for very long hours. I know eventually I will value a little sleep more and use it, but I think right now the team agreed to hold off for now.
I began to value sleep, and therefore purchased my unit, right after my twin boys were born.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
Stlbbqstore
Full Fledged Farker

I just purchased a Digi II from Kevin ( smokinit ) and I used it on my UDS last weekend. WOW. It is nice!
[COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Authorized Dealer[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] for Yoder Smokers /RipTangle Smokers / Humphrey's Smokers / Backwoods Smokers / Shirley Fab / T&K Smokers / Gateway Drum Smokers /Meadow Creek / Camp Chef / Alfa Ovens / Green Mountain Grills / Kamado Joe / Memphis Grills / PK Grills / Blaze Gas Grills / Pit Barrel Cooker
[COLOR="Black"][B]Visit our Website[/B][/COLOR] - [URL="http://www.stlbbqstore.com"]www.stlbbqstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR="Black"][B]Like us on Facebook[/B] - [/COLOR][URL="https://[URL="http://www.stlbbqstore.com"]www.facebook.com/stlbbqstore[/URL]
Stlbbqstore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
I have one on every one of my Backwoods. I also give Brethren discounts give me a shout if you have any questions.
Damnit! I just got mine two weeks ago!!
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
wheels61
Full Fledged Farker

have it on the Pit Boss and love it.
Pit Boss by American Barbecue Systems w Digi Q
All Star by American Barbecue Systems
Weber
Cowboy Campfire Grill
Char-Griller Duo
wheels61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #15
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
Sweet, I think I just changed from the Stoker. Will be contacting you.

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote