UDS - planning a big batch of butts...

W

willm

Hi all.

I'm cooking for a work party, pulled pork, and bought the butt roasts on sale today. There were no big ones, so I have 6 pieces, each approx 3 to 3.25 lbs.

So I have 6 pieces, total poundage is between 19 and 20 pounds.

For planning/scheduling purposes, can I simply use the approx 1.5 hours per pound approach, and anticipate a 5 hour-ish cook, or do I need to plan for additional time to allow for the sheer volume of meat sitting on the grill?

I know it's not an exact science, but kinda want to know roughly when I would need to start cooking to have them fully cooked and have time to sit before pulling them apart.

Thots? Opinions? Knowledge?

Thanks!

If I'm doing more than 4 pieces I add an hour to my estimated time, 6 pieces an hour and a half, but that is only estimated time, I still cook it till it's done, not to a time.

Take the heaviest piece as your control, add time to the estimate for this piece, all the others should cook in that time.

The other thing to make sure that your pit is stable temperature wise, before you put the meat on.

OK.

So if I thought I'd need about 5 hours (roughly) to cook the individual pieces, add about 1.5 hours to that, and plan based on a 6.5 hour cook? And allow for all the other variables, of course.

And good reminder about getting the pit stable first - I know I have cheated a little on other occasions if I'm only putting one or 2 things on, starting them just as the drum gets nearly up to temp, knowing it will be easy enough to adjust. That's probably impossible with this amount of meat.

Thanks.

Do you have any temp probes you can stick a couple into? I've never cooked any butts that small on the drum. I'd turn them during the cook. Mine usually cook in 7-9 hours. Here is the same amount that you plan to cook-with room for at least 3 more!

100_2081.jpg

5 hours might do it?

Pork butts? actually, 3- 3.5lber are small... I do 2 everytime I cook, they weigh around 8-10 each...I plan anywhere from 10-13 hrs of cook time @ 250*...

I'd place them close together, cook 230ish and check after 4 hours. Then judgement call on foil, deffinately spray, remainder of time. i'd say 6.5 hours total at most, but every piece is different.

Thanks for the further input, guys.

You're right, these are small roasts - I haven't seen many of the big ones that I read about here on this site, maybe it's a cultural thing? Or maybe we just grow smaller pigs out here on the west coast?! I'd love to find a local supplier of something a little more substantial that these 3 lb'ers.

The cook is tomorrow so I'll have an answer to the question one way or another...

Back