• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pulled Pork - hybrid theory... thoughts?

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I am getting ready to do some pork butt carnitas for work. Unfortunately, due to timing, I have to do the cook at home and bring it in to work and let it sit for 5 hours before it is eaten.

Hear is my theory of how I will do it - let me know your thoughts.

I am going to do a hybrid between
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118493
and
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106582

I plan on getting a 9# butt. Rubbing it with a mild rub and injecting with something simple like apple juice. I will smoke it at 250* for 4 hours with apple wood. Around 2am, I will get up, and place the butt in a pan with the marinade from Kings post above and let it braise in that for the remainder of the cook.

Once done, I will take the butt out of the marinade and wrap it in foil and then a few blankets in a WARMED cooler. I will take the marinade and place in a thermos.

When it is time to serve, I will pull like normal and place in a foil pan. Heat up the marinade and pour over the freshly pulled pork.

Thoughts?

P.S
Worst case scenario, I will bring in the crock pot to work and if I think it is starting to get cold,I will pull the pork and place it in the crock pot with the marinade and keep it on the "warm setting".

Do you have an oven at work? You could cook it 75% of the way at home then throw it in the oven at work.

Sadly, no access to any sort of heating except microwave and a smaller toaster oven (way to small for this).

If that butt's in the 200 degree range when you foil and wrap,it'll stay above the safety level for HOURS in the cooler. If it's only one butt, use a small cooler.

I think using the marinade, smoking and braising method with a whole butt ought to come out quite tasty.

I really like the flavor profile in the recipes.

Back