Deep frying a duck?

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Anyone ever done it? BIL had one given to him and we thought we'd dump it in the fyer after we do the turkey. ANY tips, hints etc will be appreciated.
I know they are very fatty, should I score the breast so it cooks properly?
Thanks in advance.

Bob

Is it a domestic duck Bob? I've not fried one but bet the fat will render out while frying (just a guess). Sure sounds great..can't wait to see how it turns out for you.

Does it float? Weigh as much as a witch? Can it turn you into a newt?

Is it a domestic duck Bob? I've not fried one but bet the fat will render out while frying (just a guess). Sure sounds great..can't wait to see how it turns out for you.

Actually I should say that the duck is probably still alive. A buddy of his is thinning his duck "herd" so to speak. It is a domestic duck. That's what leading me to think it's going to have more fat than a wild one. I've had duck a couple times and I know the breast can have a good layer of fat on it. Worst case, if it's not cooked through, we can toss in back in. Between my BIL and I and a few beers, we'll make it work I hope!:shock::lol: I'll take pics, promise!

I recall frying some wild duck I shot some 40 yrs. ago...it was tough as jerky. Of course I didn't realize back then,it's better on the medium side. We just stewed them down in a brown gravy served over rice. The cajun way!

I recall frying some wild duck I shot some 40 yrs. ago...it was tough as jerky. Of course I didn't realize back then,it's better on the medium side. We just stewed them down in a brown gravy served over rice. The cajun way!

Hmm, good info. What's medium temp for duck? Thanks again, Bob.

WWDD

What Would Daffy Do?

Next question would be, if thinning the heard means getting rid of the old stock it could be tough!

Could be. We will see what my BIL brings in that day. I guess I'll just hafta 'wing' it. :-D

Back