The Judge Who Would Be Cook-Scores and Judge Bashing

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words from the original thread.
Here are the scores and my thoughts on the dang judges.
Chicken
Chicken.jpg

866 998 888 888 887 898 8th/33
Ok so judge 1 just plain doesn't like wings. (butt sniff)
I would not change a thing next time out.

Ribs
Ribs.jpg

876 888 777 888 987 987 19th/33
Like I said they were just a pinch overdone. Everybody else's must have been really good. I'll live with these scores.
Next time a little less cookin!!

Pork
I'll explain as I was too stupid to take pics.
There were about 8 chunks of pork approx. 2 fingers thick with each piece having a good coverage of bark. The $ muscle was at the top cut into 6 pcs and glazed much like the ribs.

876 979 988 999 856 644 25th/33
Wife wants to bitch slap judge 6. I was kinda cranked here as I make really good pork butt. Thinking back, I left all the juices in the alum foil and as I pulled the meat I plunked 'em down into the juice. Rookieism shows up here. I did NOT taste the juice nor did I taste a piece of pork that would have been drowned in it!!!! It is likely that judge six got a piece that was soaked in some very who knows what juice.
MY BAD!!! I must say still avg,poor,poor is a odd score considering the rest. This helps me understand some of your constant critisism.
No change next time except to taste my product!!!

Brisket
Brisket.jpg

788 798 788 787 888 877 15th/33
Man there was nobody more surprized than me!! I thought it was a little tough but had good taste. The slices did not line up well and the burnt ends were very saucy, could have been considered messy.
This was only the 3rd time I've ever cooked brisket. I have a lot to learn here and think the scores were pry right on.
Next time spend more time setting box.

Well there you have it. My adventure into your world is complete. I had a exceptional time as did my wife and her freind. Your reputation for being a uncommon group of people who welcome and offer unbridled help is intact.
I would not hesitate jumping back in to the mix. And thank you all for your freinship.
ModelMaker
P.S. The 8:30 am cooks toast with the Makers Mark icecicle was certainly an eye opener. All invited Julie to join and she only had room for half, guess who started the day with bourban belches...

Don't kick yourself over one judge. The low score is thrown out so the impact on your results is minimal (yeah, if he had scored higher maybe one of the other scores would have been thrown out and your total would have been higher, but you don't know that).

I'm bettin the 644 came from a first time judge. I say that based on your other app scores. Three 9's, two 8's ... then a 6 that's followed by extremely low numbers. But the same could be said about the judge who gave a 999. Hard to say since I didn't judge it.

Overall, looks like the judging has paid off for you thou. Great App scores overall for your first time out. And you mention you know the app problem on brisket.

Why Maker's Mark? Did the Reverend forget the Gentleman?

I'm bettin the 644 came from a first time judge. I say that based on your other app scores. Three 9's, two 8's ... then a 6 that's followed by extremely low numbers. But the same could be said about the judge who gave a 999. Hard to say since I didn't judge it.

Overall, looks like the judging has paid off for you thou. Great App scores overall for your first time out. And you mention you know the app problem on brisket.

Why Maker's Mark? Did the Reverend forget the Gentleman?

Clones were in Denver making mega-moola and other arrangements had to be made. Not sure who the rev was but did hear his story.
Ed

The Rev is Randy from Ulcer Acres. He kindly served the Boondoggle Boys some Gentleman Jack in Waucoma - that was before we were late with the brisket.

If your front three slices of brisket were in line with your back four and looked like them, I'm guessing you would have gotten a call in the top ten in brisket.

The rev wasn't there in Indy. Man Ed, what a gutsy call on the wings. Glad it worked out for you. On the brisket, I had one like that I got from Sam's Club early in the year. Looked like a fish cutout from the side. Needless to say no more Sam's Club brisket on my comp plate.

Back